The most beautiful thing

“No you’re doing it wrong!” I sighed, rubbing my forehead. No wonder they didn’t like Vegemite, they used half the jar. Collin  glared at me and pushed the toast away from him.

“How am I doing it wrong? I’m just doing what you did?” he exclaimed, pointing to my plate. I had to admit I did use a lot of vegemite but that was because I was used to it. I could it eat it straight but for someone who hasn’t had it before they needed a lot less. I grabbed his plate and knife and scraped half of it off, leaving only a smudge on the toast.

“How am I going to even taste that?” he scoffed. I rolled my eyes and just shoved it into his mouth. He chewed for a bit before scrunching up his face.

“It’s still gross.”

“Maybe the vegemite thinks your gross,” I shot back, sticking my tongue out. He chuckled and got up and put the toast in the bin and walked over and grabbed his school bag, chucking it over his shoulder.

“Are you ready to go?” he asked, grabbing his keys. He didn’t wait for an answer and just started walking for the door. I grabbed my bag and hurried to catch up with him.

“What if I had said I wasn’t?” I asked, shoving his shoulder.

“Then sucks to be you,” he shrugged. He pushed me out the door to his car and I laughed praising myself for not being the nervous type otherwise I would have been screwed. I was quite lucky that Collin  was my host brother. After emailing back and forth for about a month we realised how similar we were. Though then again it probably wasn’t that lucky seeming as the organization would have seen that, so it was more good planning. I jumped in his car and as soon as I was in he reversed out and was speeding up to the school. Apparently the school was at least a 30 minute drive so in that time I was questioning him about the school.

It sounded a bit stereotypical but I knew I could deal with that. Apparently the ‘jocks’ of the school were the football team as I had been told but I laughed at that.

“Pansy sport,” I coughed making him raise his eyebrows. He pulled  into a parking spot and got out, coming round to my side to wait for me. I hopped out and waited for him to lead me somewhere.

“Have you seen the tackles we get?” he asked patronizingly. I laughed and patted his shoulders.

“Have you seen your protection? You wouldn’t want to get a boo boo now,” I cooed, pinching his cheek. He pulled out from under me and stared me down.

“And I suppose you play a rougher sport?” he asked making his way through the people. I could feel some stares on me but I ignored them, not feeling the need to stare back at them.

“Yeah, it’s called Rugby league. No protection, full tackles. Until you play that you haven’t played rough sport,” I explained. He rolled his eyes and muttered something which sounded like weird Australians but I decided to ignore it.

As we stopped in the reception I stepped forward and got my schedule and as I got a few pointers from the lady I smiled and turned around to leave when I noticed that Collin had disappeared. I swore and shoved all the stuff I didn’t need in my bag and set off in the direction that everyone else was heading.

As I was headed into the building I saw Collin cornered by three massive blokes. One leant forward and smashed his hand on to Collin’s books, making them smash to the floor. I raised my eyebrows and smothered my anger, not wanting to let it show. I walked up to Collin and stood before them, keeping my face neutral.

"No Faolan do-," Collin started from behind me. 

I quickly darted my hand out and smashed my hand onto the guy’s books making them fall on the floor. He raised his eyebrows at me and I stared at him innocently

“Ironic really,” I gave a fake smile and bet down and picked up Collin’s books for him. He was bright red and muttered a quick thanks to me. I waved my hand for him to show me the way but he didn’t really see it as he was still looking at the ground. I rolled my eyes and grabbed his hand and pulled him down the corridor.

“I’ll take a guess they were the school jocks,” I stated, looking at him for confirmation. He coughed and choked out a quick yes.

“Well this is going to be fun,” I mused, “I finally get to get my own back…sort of.”

“Er what? Were you bullied?” Collin scoffed and it was my turn to blush slightly.

“Yup, not being the prettiest thing out there didn’t make me little miss popular. Oh it was bad for a while and then I grew a set and I was fine,” I winked at him and he ducked his head and snorted with laughter.

“Now we’ve just got to work on your set,” he stopped laughing and pushed his glasses up his nose.

“Um, um , what do you mean?” he stuttered and I laughed and just shook my head.

“By the end of this year, you’re going to be stand up for yourself. That’s a promise,” I was staring at him, waiting for him to look at me. He took a little  too long because suddenly I smacked into someone and fell to the ground.

“Aw shit sorry,” a voice muttered.

I snorted and flicked my hair out of my eyes and stared up at the most beautiful thing that I have ever seen.

****************************************  

Wow does this feel weird to be writing this, well I felt in a mood for going against cliches so here is a small chapter. I'm not sure how often I would upload though so that's a bummer for my no fans lol.