9) Lucid Past,Wooden Promises

It was eleven o' clock. The mother and daughter were still not home. Pacing around the living room, my gaze was fixed on the door, waiting for it to burst open revealing Aunt Allie and Olivia.

My wait was cut short when the front door was pulled ajar and the huffing of Olivia could be heard along with the slurring of Aunt Allie.

"Susan!" called Olivia and I walked towards her to find Aunt Allie dangling on her shoulder, the former barely deterring her from embracing the floor.

"Take care of her. I am going to catch some sleep," she said while stifling a yawn. Handing me her drunk body, she went to her room and closed the door.

Supporting Aunt Allie, I placed her on the couch and was about to go to fetch some water for her when she spoke in her slurred tone while pointing her forefinger at me, "You remind of him. You resemble him." She nodded to agree with herself.

I stopped midway and turned to look at her, a puzzling look evident on my face. A shaky breath left my lips when she started to speak. "I loved him, but she - your mother stole him away from me!" she exclaimed and snivelled as tears cascaded down her cheeks and dropped on the floor via her chin.

She didn't stop speaking. "Your mother had a happily ever after, but what about me? Why didn't she care about my feelings?" I did not know whether to console her or defend my mother. I stayed quiet, fixed at my spot just listening to what was possibly the truth.

She began cackling - a laugh so hollow and emotionless that it made trepidation slink into my bones. It felt oddly cold, seeing her drunk stare that was unwavering targeted at me, amid her evil laugh.

During her laughter, she spoke, "Vengeance is sweet!"

I felt disgusted by her words. A spur of emotions whirled within me and with a courage obscure to me, I shouted, "You are a sick woman! How could you do this to your own flesh and blood?" Huffing with anger, I stomped towards the kitchen not bothering to hear her shouting profanities at me.

With what seemed like eons, the booming thunder like yells of Aunt Allie subsided and I ventured out of the kitchen to find her passed out on the couch, with the stench of vomit lingering in the air. Ignoring her, I went back to the attic to grab the piece of paper that had caught my attention prior to the arrival of Olivia and Aunt Allie.

The door to the attic creaked open, and the silence swaddling the place made me gulp. It seemed as if this place could answer what Aunt Allie had implied. Taking unsure, short steps towards the wooden shelf, my heart started beating furiously, as if it was not ready to face the truth and embrace it.

With shaking hands I gently took out the thin, wrinkly piece of paper that was crammed in between books, torn at the sides. It seemed that the weight of the words written on this paper made it age quicker, and the circumstances it has been through made it torn at the seams.

Maybe reading what had been on the paper could heal me, or destroy me further. Without having a debate inside my head, I unfolded the page, embracing myself for the truth that had been concealed from me.

The writing was familiar as it was similar to the one I had read a few days ago.

Carter, meet me at the park at nine. The money will be enough to satisfy you. Be sure to be as sly as a serpent. All the details will be discussed at the venue.

.

"I promise to keep you safe. No harm shall be done to my beloved Beth," he said while kissing her forehead.

"He lied to her! He lied to us! He was a manipulated, pathetic excuse for a human!" I screamed as the last memory of her enveloped me.

I did not want to remember his sickly lies, his false promises, his wooden self. He was a disgusting, revolting creature. Rage filled me as I tossed to the floor whatever came in the grasp of my hands as his words spoken to her were vivid in my mind.

"I am scared, Carter," she told him truthfully.

"Don't be, love. I'll be here," he said with a smile.

"Liar!" I screamed as I threw the stack of old books on the floor. "I curse you that you rot in hell."

"Sweetie, Carter and I will be going paragliding. You be a good girl and behave at Aunt Allie's," she said while dropping me off and giving me a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

Carter just licked his lips and I tried not to wince under his lecherous gaze. I obediently went inside, unaware that it was the last time I would see her.

"You are monsters and robbers! You stole the love that was in my life," I shouted to no one in particular while crying and still throwing away whatever was neatly set. These things did not have the right to be set neat and prim. My life was not in an order, and they should be in disorder too.

"I will take her now, Allie," he spoke in a hush with a glint of mischief in his eyes."For a while," he added afterwards, flashing her a smile. "Susan! Time to go home," he spoke to me.

"Where is my mother?" I asked, impatient to see her face.

"Having a meeting with the lords above," he chuckled wryly at his own words.

"What do you mean?" I spoke in a strained voice, trying not to cry.

He clamped his hand on my mouth and spoke dangerously close to my ear, "We have some unfinished business, Princess."

After uttering that, he hauled me towards the car, my cries for help were muffled due to the cloth tied tightly at my mouth.

"You are the most heartless person I met, Carter Mensonge. You took away my innocence by force and have succeeded in finding me a favourite colour - a beautiful combination of livid and red against pure white. Congratulations!" I spoke in a retired register before collapsing to the floor, tired of everything.

______________________________________

Was this shocking, unexpected, or expected?

Did you feel the emotions? Was it effective enough?

What do you think about Aunt Allie and Carter now?

Most importantly, what will be Susan's next move? For that, stay tuned. 😉

AYS_621

AYS_621