Chapter 35 - Rivals

"Carduran's attack cannot go unpunished, and retaliation is not an option. We need to petition Thane and the council of elders for a restitution and action hearing," Marcus suggested, and some glared at him, offended, but even they knew it was the only step available to them.

Kay silently watched them with a frown.

"If we do, we need to make a fuss about it. Bring in others to add their support and voices. If Carduran can do this to us, he can do it to anyone. The light fae council will have to be persuaded to petition the dark fae council for action against Carduran," Darcy suggested.

"They won't do much. The dark council is probably as afraid of him as they are of Azera. At least the pressure from the light fae council would be enough of a threat to get us a hearing. While they laugh at our impotence, we strike at them again," Darius murmured. "This round, we choose three targets and move on them simultaneously."

They nodded their agreement, and their eyes shifted to the wall, where Cat and Darcy added new faces to the board.

"Why don't we mess with them some more? I saw Amanda Livingston at the castle often enough, always lodging some complaint against Marius Bogart and Deane Duncan, her bitter rivals for Azera's favor. Their threats and little coups against one another are legendary in the dark fae world. Perhaps it's time we 'drove' one of them to go a little too far," Kay suggested, and their eyes turned to her.

"The one thing they have in common is a love for very expensive racehorses they have been breeding for years. Their horses are famous in the human world, and I guess if one of those expensive, irreplaceable animals were to disappear, it would cause a stir. Especially if a rumor should find its way into certain people's ears that their rivals were responsible, followed by irrefutable proof.

"I'm certain it won't take much to cause a conflict between them and not much more for that petty dispute to unleash an ugly aftermath," Kay said with a touch of malice.

Amanda was not her favorite person. She enjoyed beating the living shat out of people with a horsewhip, and Kay ended up on the wrong end of that switch several times over the years.

Marius favored knives and was fascinated with the Chinese art of "death by a thousand cuts." Kay only suffered his monstrous attention once, and he messed her up so badly that Azera refused to have him touch her again, which said all there was to say.

Deane was perhaps the tamest of the three. At most, the vampire slapped Kay around a bit and enjoyed choking people while she drank their blood until they were about to faint. The woman had a monstrous appetite for a vampire, which was unusual. She was the only vampire Kay ever saw that could drain a person. At least she almost always stopped short of killing.

If truth be told, Kay will not mourn the loss of any of them. In fact, destroying them would do the world a favor.

"Stealing such a valuable animal and hiding it might not be easy, Daughter," Darius said, but judging from the absent way he rubbed his knuckle and the flash of interest in his eyes, he liked the idea.

"And it would be more interesting if said valuable animal were to turn up in an odd place afterward. A place that might lead to questions that dare not be asked," Darcy suggested.

Marcus suddenly smirked that brilliant smile that made women weak at the knees, and his dimples showed on his strong chiseled face.

Kay fought her instinctive reaction with all of her willpower, glancing away from him and into Claudia's eyes.

Had Claudia guessed her secret and experienced compassion for her? Was she paranoid?

"I know just the place," Marcus murmured, his eyes sparkling with mischief, and she could not keep herself from staring at him.

When he was like this, her heart could not withstand his charm. He drew her like a magnet, and she was a solid piece of steel, anchored to nothing and inexorably being drawn in.

Marcus purposefully caught Kay's eye, and the mischief disappeared. He knew this was personal, and she had not randomly chosen these people.

The compassion in his gaze made her uneasy.

"I... have things to do," the words blurted from her mouth as she stood.

Darius's gaze swiveled in her direction, moved briefly to Marcus, then returned to her, and suddenly he was the stern father figure, his displeasure freezing midmotion.

"This was your idea, Kay, and you are responsible for it. Whatever else you need to do, Cat, Adrian, or just about anyone can take care of it," Darius ordered, and his tone had her sitting back down under the weight of his command.

It was the first time he used his alpha tone on her, and its effect shocked her. How had she not realized the power Darius had over her will?

She nodded slowly. "Yes, sir, sorry," she almost stammered over the words.

Adrian glanced at her husband, and his attitude softened immediately. The command's weight lifted from her shoulders, and she almost sighed with relief.

Darius was not angry at her. He sensed something wrong and didn't know what it was, only noticing the tension between her, Marcus, and Claudia. Although he felt it was not his place to interfere, he would not allow it for long.

Kay would have to get herself together. Newest Version ©2014-2023 All rights reserved. If you find this on any other platform but Wattpad under @CSDreamer, please report it. No part of this book may be copied or reposted without the author's permission.