Chapter 46 - Allies

Kay's adrenaline pumped like crazy through her veins as flashbacks of the forest hammered into her brain like nails, but something of Adrian's calm essence, when she manipulated Kay, had remained, guiding her.

Focussing on it, she allowed it to take over and drive away the terror choking her. This was no time to have a panic attack or get confused by images of the past.

Instead, she focussed on the world outside, paying attention to the rapidly changing scenery as the tunnel led into an ample storage room with a row of trucks blocking its width and many immortals hiding behind them.

There were five vehicles and around thirty men; she took inventory of the situation in a fraction of a second. If they could not find a way to change their circumstances, they would be trapped in their vehicles and easy targets for someone with grenades or a missile launcher in this massive room.

To make matters worse, the door into the facility lay between them and that wall of firepower.

The driver gunned the engine as Marcus had before but released the doors.

"Get out!"

Just for a second, she didn't understand, but as the others exited the speeding vehicle, she remembered that these vehicles were special. Even without a driver, it would continue to build up speed.

They stood a better chance as unexpected moving targets with a vehicle barreling at their adversaries than if they brought the vehicle to a standstill.

Moving targets were hard to hit, especially with a virtual tank coming at you full-bore filled with two tanks of gasoline.

Kay jumped from the speeding vehicle at a speed that would be fatal to any human. The werewolves had landed easily, bullets pinged by them, and some were hit, but they did not hesitate or stop.

Her body reacted to the free fall as if she had done this before, experiencing the ease of a werewolf's movements for a brief instant as her body adjusted, and she landed with inhuman grace, shooting forward at a pace she had only recently mastered.

Hours and days with Adrian had been grueling, often painful, but the results were astounding. If she had not been trained as intensively, she would not have done well in this situation; as is, everything came as naturally to her as breathing.

They reached the cover of a few stacked packing crates and dove behind them as the truck barreled into their enemies, exploding into a fiery ball of fire that rocked the walls and would have taken out their hearing if they were not prepared for this.

Three more carefully directed, equally jury-rigged trucks followed in its wake, and when the last blast settled, dust and smoke filled the room as the rest of their trucks lined up across the open area.

Kay jumped to her feet, aimed, and pulled the trigger. The stunned, burned, and blinded terrorists were caught in a solid wall of gunfire that lasted less than a minute. A single bullet barely grazed her arm, and as much as it stung, she ignored it.

A dying enemy pushed a button that detonated their trucks, but as the dust settled, it became clear that he had taken out only his comrades; bits and pieces of them were blown all across the chamber.

"That was stupid," Cat said.

"But convenient," Kay reminded.

"Let it be a lesson; panic kills," Marcus said.

***

Marcus started moving, and they lined up beside the door leading into the compound. When Kay approached it, the light went from red to orange, a pad appeared, and she put her thumb to it. The light blinked green, and the door unlocked.

Kay stood aside, gripping her gun, and expected more enemies waiting for them as the door slid open, but apparently, the attackers did not get past the six-inch-thick piece of steel. The commander led the team inside and proceeded cautiously but soon ran.

The scent of blood and cordite warned her that her assumption had been wrong before they turned a sharp righthand corner and skidded to a halt. Dead immortals once again littered the ground, the compound had been breached, and it looked like a scene from a horror movie.

A shot pinged off the wall near her, and a short burst of gunfire sent an enemy staggering backward down a flight of stairs.

"That was one of Thane's men; they think we are enemies," Marcus said.

"Grab their insignia's patches, put them on quickly," Kay advised, "or we will have to kill his men to get to him."

With the twin dragons on their vampire or werewolf attire and the succubus running past all their defenses, the allies were smart enough to hesitate and realize they were friends and not enemies. These allies joined the group as it barreled forward.

***

"How do you know where you are going, or do you?" Marcus asked.

"Yes, I know where I'm going. These flashes of memory guide me, and I think they come from Akira or were planted in my brain."

"Your Highness?" One of their new helpers yelled, grabbing her arm when she didn't immediately respond and almost lost his hand to a werewolf.

His eyes were on her, and his panic stopped her dead in her tracks.

Did she really look like one of them? She dismissed his form of address as irrelevant.

"There are a lot of them past those doors, and they have our forces trapped. We are at their back, but we cannot go barreling in there without a plan," he dropped to his knees, and his insignia marked him as part of Thane's personal guard.

Hurt and bleeding freely, he ignored his wounds as he struggled to his haunches and drew the outlay on the ground in his blood.

"These are enemies, and these are allies. As he continued, a picture of the hallways and rooms formed in her mind.

"Good man," Marcus said as she extended her hand to help him back to his feet, and he hesitated before taking it, clearly not used to a "royal" caring about someone like him. "You just saved our king," the choice of words was strategic on Marcus's part but also marked their alliance.

They could not afford to stand behind their independence and pride.

This is the dangerous part. Newest Version ©2014-2023 All rights reserved. If you find this on any other platform but Wattpad under @CSDreamer, please report it. No part of this book may be copied or reposted without the author's permission.