Twenty-One

Maya,

This letter is going to be about healing. I know you and I know how heavily you take loss, failure, and pressure. And I know that you always struggle to come back from doing wrong.

And I do know how hard you would take me not returning home. If your mother has given you this letter, it means she knows. She's finally felt that you are beginning to accept my passing.

The truth is, it'll make you a better person. A better leader, a better student, and most importantly — a better football player.

I know football was always something we shared and I know stepping onto that field will always make you think of me. I always thought about your grandfather every time I would pick up a fishing rod. Because it was something we cherished together and it was always when we bonded the most.

But I will forever be grateful that our relationship was more than just football. Along with your mother, you are my best friend, my go-to gal, and my number one fan. And I'll always be your number one fan, even from above.

I know in my heart you've struggled for a while now with my passing but I also know that today, you have finally begun to accept it. And it all has to do with what football has taught you.

You can't always dwell on a loss because that'll never help you win the next one. It'll cloud every rational thought when it comes to winning the next game.

The loss of someone you love is a billion times worse. Which is why I'm glad you've finally begun to accept your loss.

You are beautiful inside and out, the strongest human I have ever met, and my greatest accomplishment.

I love you with all my heart and I know you're going to win this one, too.

-Dad