Fifteen

I think this was probably the first time I had ever been threatened like that on the football field. I really didn't know how to react so I just waited to get on the field and start getting to work.

I sat through our defensive possession. It was tough but the defense got a stop and came off the field ecstatic.

I grabbed my helmet and Coach gave me the play. I trotted onto the field and I immediately began to hear boos coming from the bleachers on County's side.

I reached the huddle and called out the play. I broke the huddle and hustled to the line of scrimmage.

"There's the girl!" One of the County linebackers called to the rest of their defense and pointed at me.

"Who wants the first sack?" Another one asked the rest of them. I could hear a few of them laugh.

I hiked the ball and threw a quick pass to Gould who then ran a few more yards and got us the first down.

I could hear a few of the County players cussing and blaming each other as we helped Gould up off the ground after he was tackled.

Coach gave me the next play and I ran back to the huddle to relay to everyone else. It was another pass play.

I hiked the ball and took my drop steps back. From the corner of my left eye I could see a defensive lineman break through the line. I scrambled to my right but before I knew it, a linebacker had come around the right side and I made immediate contact with him.

When I hit the ground I couldn't breathe. The last thing I remember is lifting my head a little to try to catch my breath before someone shoved my head back down into the ground.

Then everything went dark.