Mothers Doubts (2)

I looked at him with my mouth open and my heart beat ringing in my ears. He cringed, "I warned you." He turned back to a surprised Santa, an annoyed Bunny, a shocked Sandman, and a gawking Fairy. "What makes you think we want to be guardians?"

Clause stood there for a second before he bursted out laughing. "Of course you do." He bounced on his knees, "Music!" He snapped out.

The music began but I cut them off. "No, he's right. I can not be a guardian." I chuckled awkwardly. "It's best if I just stay away from everyone. Thank you for the opportunity, really, it's very thoughtful. I just, can't accept it."

Jack next to me nodded, "She's right. And you don't want me. You're all, hard work and deadlines. And I'm snowballs and fun times. I'm not a guardian."

Bunnymund jeered, "Yeah. That's exactly what I said." He elbowed Clause.

Tooth fairy put a hand up stopping him from continuing. She flew in front of us, "I don't think you understand what it is we do." She backed up to the large globe behind us. "Each of those lights is a child."

"A child who believes. And good or bad, naughty or nice, we protect them." Clause cut in.

"That's exactly why I'm not the person you should be asking for this position." I spoke out, "I, I can't-.

"We know." Clause cut me off. He stepped towards me, "We may not have picked you, but I know you have much potential. You'd be a strong guardian." He looked at me with soft eyes. I shook my head.

"Ah! Ah!" Jack groaned out.

"Tooth! Fingers out of mouth." Clause ordered her without a glance in her direction.

"Oh, sorry. They're beautiful." She said praising the boy.

"Okay. No more wishy-washy. Pitch is out there doing who knows what!" Clause yelled out more serious.

"Pitch?" I asked not knowing who it was.

"You mean the Boogeyman?" Jack questioned.

"Yes! When Pitch threatens us, he threatens them as well." Clause gestured towards the glowing lights on the globe.

"All the more reason to pick someone more qualified." Jack said turning away.

"Pick? You think we pick? No, you were chosen! Like we were all chosen. By Man in Moon." Clause pointed to the visible moon.

Jacks interests were peaked, "What?"

I raised my eyebrow, "You think there's a man, in the moon, that's talking to you?" I chuckled, "This is getting crazier by the minute."

"Last night, Mother, he chose the both of you." Tooth said to us.

"Maybe." Bunnymund added.

"Man in the Moon... He talks to you?" Jack asked, his voice cracking. He seemed to be affected by this.

"Don't tell me you believe in this stuff too." I turned to Jack.

"When man in Moon speaks to us, you can not say no. It is your destiny." Clause informed me.

"But why wouldn't he tell me that himself." He groaned and dragged his hand across his face, "After 300 years this is his answer? For us to spend eternity like you guys. Copped up in some hideout thinking of new ways to bribe kids?" He shuffled his stick, "No, no. That's not for me!" He yelled at the moon. "No offense."

"How is that not offensive?" Bunnymund stuttered out. "You know what, I think we just dodged a bullet. I mean what do these clowns know about bringing joy to children anyway." He bent and it's his ear with his back leg.

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, no offense darling." He said sarcastically.

"Uh, you ever hear of a snow day? Or maybe," He paused, "What is it you do?" He stopped turning to me.

"I do snow days too." I whispered at him.

"Wow! Would you look at that! I know it's no hard-boiled eggs, but kids like what we do." Jack said back to him.

"But none of them believe in you, do they?" Bunnymund walked towards Jack with his ears back, "You see, you're invisible, mate. It's like you don't even exist."

Jack looked down and chuckled. I walked over to him and put my hand on his shoulder before he did anything rash. "Bunny! Enough." Tooth warned him.

Jack gently took my hand off his shoulder. "No, the kangaroo's right." He pointed towards Bunnymund. I put my hand against my mouth to stifle my laugh.

"The what? What did you call me?" Bunnymund scoffed, "I'm not a kangaroo, mate." He advanced towards Jack with slanted eyes.

"Oh, and this whole time I thought you were. If you're not a kangaroo, what are you?" Jack leaned towards him.

"I'm a bunny. The Easter bunny." He leaned even closer. They were now inches away from each other. "People believe in me." The room became silent. All that was heard were the loud breaths of the two.

Bunnymund clearly did not like the idea of us being guardians. Or, maybe Jack was the one he didn't like. Nevertheless, Bunnymund  struck a nerve in Jack.

"Jack. Walk with me." Clause whispered at the two. Jack slowly backed away and walked out the room. I was left with the other three guardians.

"Listen, this was exciting and all, but I think I'm going to go now." I said to them. I started to walk away but I stopped in my tracks. I turned to the three. "How do I get back exactly?"

Sandy stepped forward with a soft sigh. Above him he projected objects using his sand. It had a figure with what seemed to be growing plants next to it. The figure lifted up its hands and clouds formed above. From the clouds came droplets of rain that fed the plants. It then showed another figure. It was farther than the other. This figure bent down to the plants, they looked at it for a second before they ripped it out of the ground. I jerked back at the sudden movement.

Sandy nodded asking if I understood. I cleared my throat, "What was that?"

Tooth flew down and touched my shoulder, "That, was you." She whispered to me. "C'mon, let's talk. Just us two girls," I eyed her miniature companions, "They don't exactly count. I know a place where we can go." In a blink, she flew in front of a yeti. "Do you mind if we borrow a snow globe, I don't think she'll like my preferred mode of transportation."

The yeti nodded and pulled out a snow globe. It handed it to her and she nodded back in thanks.

"So, where are we going?" I asked her.

"It's a surprise." She replied. She shook the globe and whispered to it. She lifted her hand and threw it onto the ground. Instead of seeing a shattered snow globe, a portal popped open. "What are you waiting for?" She turned and asked.

I do not know what her intentions are. From the small time I've known, her she's been nice. It doesn't mean I could trust her. But she was giving me a way out of here. I would rather go with her than to be stuck here.

Hesitantly, I nodded my head and walked through the portal.

A/N I think we all know what's coming next...

Don't forget to Vote and comment if you liked it!