Staying Friends

Auni

Outside in the middle of darkness, the evening has just been over. Filling up with small specks of light, shinning like a million fireflies. The blackness little by little fading, the moon has just arrived.

The animals returned to their homes, the pride lions walked up Pride Rock to the large cavern for bed. I didn't follow Maha. Instead, I stay outside. I thought about our conversation about Hashaan.

Maha is right, I should speak with him. Last time Hashaan and I had spoken, it did not go so well. We were both yelling at each other with anger and hurt. I took off crying with tears and that's when I've reunited with Heri at the river.

This time I want a more mature, respectful conversation with Hashaan. Tonight is his last night staying at Pride Rock. Him and his family leave tomorrow at dawn. I really do want Hashaan and I to stay as good friends.

We probably won't be as close as were before Heri had came. But at least we'll still be friends.

"Well, here I go..."I whisper to myself.

I didn't see Hashaan following the pride lions to the cavern. I'm assuming he's still outside too. But where? I sniff the air trying to catch his scent.

He's close...

I follow the direction of his scent to the tall grasses. He's in there somewhere.

"Hashaan?" I call.

No answer.

"Come on, Hashaan. It's me Auni! I know you can hear me. Look, I am sorry for my bad behavior and the way I've snapped out on you earlier. It was wrong of me. I just want to talk about it. I don't want you leaving the Pride Lands hurt and I don't want to feel any regrets about it. Let's talk like adult lions here!"

I heard a rustling noise. The grass moves. I take a few steps back not sure what may come out. It was Hashaan. He looks astonished.

"Oh, hey Auni! Yeah we can talk. I also apologize for my actions too. I shouldn't have been so easily tempered. You were just telling me how much you liked me. I do appreciate it! But apparently that's all changed now. I see how you are with my cousin. I wish you both the best and a happy future!" He said. Hashaan now looks sad.

I lower my ears and sat down. "I accept your apology, Hashaan. It's not all of your fault though. I let my emotions take over me. Heri and I aren't dating. We are just friends! He's been my best friend since cub hood. We were very close. When I found out that he was dead, it had really crushed me. I couldn't sleep at night. My mother worried for me. I felt like I have lost a part of me..."

"I see..."

"Again, Heri and I are just friends like me and you are friends. I really want us to continue being friends Hashaan. We have so many fun memories since you came to the Pride Lands! I would hate for all of that to go."

Hashaan half smiled and place his big paw on top of my small one. "Yes, we can still be friends. I would really love that Auni. We deserve to be happy and meet other lions. You're a very beautiful lioness."

I blush and giggle. "Heh, thanks. You're very handsome! I'm sure you'll find you a lioness in no time when you return home."