Can we just be friends?

(Tom's POV)
I woke up the next morning with a text from Jake. 

Hey I need to talk to JJ. We have to be able to be around each other, but I'm not ready to continue the relationship right now. Is she home?

She's home, but if you crush her I'm gonna kill you dude

I promise I won't. I still love her remember?

Seconds later I heard the door bell ring. JJ never left the couch last night and I watched her open the door. I watched from the upstairs balcony, worried he would hurt her. 

(JJ's POV)

*Door bell rings*

Oh my gosh, who the heck comes and rings the door bell at 8:00am on a Saturday morning? I got up to get the door, and after doing so I couldn't move when seeing who was there. 

"Hi," Jake stood at the door. "I think I'm ready to talk." 

"Okay." I opened the door more to let him in. 

"Actually, could we go for a drive?"

I hesitated for a minute. "Um, sure. Let me grab my phone." 

We made our way to his truck and he started driving into town. He pulled into our favorite breakfast bagel shop. "You cool with bagels?" he asked. 

"Sure. I could eat." 

We walked inside and he ordered two breakfast egg and sausage bagels and grabbed each of us an orange juice. He joined me at a table and it took him a few minutes before he said anything. After eating in awkward silence I couldn't take it anymore. "Thank you for breakfast. So, what did you want to talk about?"

"I think we need to talk about us," He said and I smiled, "but not about what you're thinking. JJ, I think we should just be friends. Hallie say's you've been sitting around waiting for me to forget what happened, and the fact is I just can't."

"But Jake..." 

"Just let me finish. Whenever I see you, I so badly want to wrap you in my arms and kiss you all over. But then I have that image stuck in my head. I don't even remember the guys name, but when I look at you, he is all that I see." 

"So I should just give up on us?"

"No. I'm not giving up on us either. I so badly want you JJ. I want to trust you. I just can't right now. Are you okay with this?"

"No Jake, I'm not okay. I want to be with you more than I want oxygen. But I guess it isn't in my control. Just tell me when you're ready."

"I will." 

"But Jake, if you suddenly come around and I've already moved on. Don't blame me, okay?"

"I hope it never gets to that." 

We threw away our trash and stood up to leave. The whole way home, we didn't speak a word. As he pulled into my drive way I turned to him to say, "Thank you again for breakfast, and for helping Zep today. I know how much he loves and looks up to you." 

"No problem. I love the little guy too." 

I walked inside and tried to be okay with what we had discussed. I just hoped he doesn't take forever to figure things out. 

(5 weeks later)

Five weeks. It's been five weeks since Jake and I last talked about us. I had seen him here and there at family events, but he still wasn't ready for anything.