Chapter forty nine: Neptuna

Start from the beginning

"Someone help! We need help!" Elymas called.

I tugged the two boys over to the nearest empty cot and had Elymas help me lay Carrie down. Alivia jumped up and rushed over.

"What—" She tried to ask but another girl who was taller interrupted her.

"What happened?" The girl questioned.

"Wallace poisoned him or something!" I ignored the girl and began to pace next to Carrie's bed.

"Alright... I'll get to work. You and Elymas wait outside." Alivia told me.

"No you won't. You'll stay near something that you can't screw up." The girl glared at Alivia.

"But I—" Alivia tried to disagree.

"You'll stay away so you don't screw anything up. Now get them out of here so the real healers can start working."

"But—" I began to complain that I wouldn't leave Carrie's side until he was better, but Alivia pushed Elymas and I out the door.

I sighed and sat down, worried that Carrie might never get better.

"Uh... So." Elymas slowly sat down next to me. "...What do you think of that Courtney character? Do you think she's here, at Camp Ops?"

I was silent. I looked at him, blank-faced.

"...Maybe." I shrugged.

"Who do you think she is?"

"No idea."

"What do you think she looks like?"

"Probably boring."

"Her name makes her sound hot."

I froze. What was wrong with this guy? I looked at him like, "Are you kidding me?"

"What?" He shrugged. "She sounds hot. Maybe that's why that Percy guy is looking for her."

"...'That Percy guy' is her brother, dude." I said slowly.

"Oh. Well she still could be hot, you think she's single?"

"How could I know? I don't know her."

"Hope she's single."

"Why? You don't even know what she looks like."

"I can imagine it. Brown hair that's almost always in a pony tail, big brown eyes. Terrible fashion sense, five foot six." He closed his eyes and spoke.

"I don't know, maybe." I shrugged trying to keep the surprise out of my voice.

"Her last name starts with a 'L' then an 'O'." He kept his eyes closed.

"How— That was amazing, how do you know all of that?"

"Not sure." He shrugged and opened his eyes. "It really helps on tests, easier to cheat."

"Oh, it's time for dinner." I spoke, trying to not be too obvious of ending the conversation, though the sun was setting.

To be honest I doubt he would even notice. The boy was so thick in the head that I could probably flat-out tell him that I was Courtney and he still not know who she was.

"Oh, look at that, it is. Isn't it great that we get meals here?" He grinned like an idiot and started to jog to the mess hall.

A second later he stopped in his tracks. He glanced behind him and saw that I wasn't planning on eating any time soon.

"Come on, everybody has to eat!"

He came back and grabbed my hand as a small child would to his mother at the store.

I rolled my eyes and allowed him to pull me to the mess hall.

"Carrie won't be coming to dinner." I heard Alivia whisper to Juventas.

"Why?" Juventas leaned over the table.

"Don't freak out, you can't freak out or people will suspect something's wrong." Alivia begged.

"Just tell me." Juventas eyed her.

"Wallace attacked him, apparently trying to kidnap him. Now Marissa is watching over him while the rest of us eat."

I could tell Juventas was holding back the urge to go out and find Wallace. Instead she just a took a deep breath and tried to calm herself.

"Go back to the healer tent and tell Marissa that you'll be taking care of Carrie. If she disagrees then you can direct her to me."

"Wh— Okay Juventas." Alivia nodded and jogged back out of the mess hall.

A few minutes later, Marissa barged into the mess hall, fuming. Luckily it was after the speech so she didn't disrupt anything. She was obviously completely pissed off that Alivia was in charge of Carrie instead of her.

"Are you kidding me Juventas?" Marissa hissed.

"What?" Juventas played innocent, most likely to annoy Marissa.

"You put the life of our praetor in the hands of our worst healer?" She hissed. "I know you're my boss but have you lost your mind?" Marissa's voice started to raise to the point that she was now completely yelling at the goddess and the whole mess hall was watching.

"Actually, you put the life of our praetor in the hands of the worst healer. I just sent one of the best to take your place and fix your mistakes."

"I am the best healer this camp has seen ever since Chris. That's why I'm the head healer and not him. But we don't speak of him now because he—"

"We don't speak of his crimes and neither will you. Now you take your place or I will make sure this was your last day as a healer." Juventas snarled, all kindness in her face disappeared once Marissa mentioned Chris.

The hall erupted in murmurs and whispers of what people thought this "Chris" did and I started to think, what had Chris done? Whatever it was must've been bad. The people that had been here a long time, who had probably been campers when Chris did whatever he did just froze. They started in horror at Marissa that she would dare mention it.

Marissa threw a glare at Juventas then sat down.

"Rebecca, you're in charge of Marissa." The hall went silent. "She does nothing without your permission. You aren't head healer, understand?"

A girl the same size as Marissa jolted at the sound of her name. I guessed this was Rebecca.

"Y-yes ma'am. I won't let you down." Rebecca stuttered and Marissa spent the rest of dinner glaring at her and Juventas.

Some of the healers patted Rebecca on the back, some were too scared to move into Marissa's line of vision.

I finished my dinner and waited for the healers to go back to the tent. After they entered the path was clear for me to sit outside the tent and wait for Carrie.

About half an hour after midnight, there was a noise from the tent's door. Seconds later, Carrie staggered out, looking drowsy. I shot to my feet.

"Carrie!" Without thinking, I hugged him.