You ended it

Stevie expected about anything from Joe. Except one thing - silence. Deafening silence. She told her husband she was in love with another man and he didn't do or say anything. Stevie saw Joe repacking his suitcase and she begged him to talk to her, but he didn't. Once he had his things, he walked out of their hotel room and left. Stevie didn't know if he was going to come back, her guess was that no, he most certainly wasn't. She couldn't think of something else to do besides getting her things together as well and finding her own way to the airport.

During the flight Stevie had time to think. Knowing it was going to hurt Joe immensely, she couldn't keep lying to herself and him. Being honest with Joe about her feelings for Lindsey, Stevie didn't know what was going to happen after. Joe clearly wasn't interested in hearing her tell him things she probably didn't mean. Or maybe he simply needed time.

"Something happened, right?" Karen asked, being the one to drive Stevie home.

"What makes you say that?" Stevie glanced at her assistant before turning towards the window again.

"How many years have I known you now? I can tell when you're happy, I can tell when you're upset, angry... You're quiet, which isn't like you at all."

"I don't want to talk about it." Stevie sighed, indicating this was the end of that conversation.

Stevie noticed Joe's car in the driveway, when Karen pulled in and her heartbeat sped up. She had no idea what was going to happen, she sure hoped Joe would finally open his mouth. Even if he was going to yell at her, she'd take that too.

The first thing Stevie heard entering the house was the sound of one of Joe's guitars. She left her suitcase in the hallway and followed the melody, soon her eyes settled on Joe in the family room on the couch, his feet up on the coffee table, the instrument laying across his lap as he strummed the strings without any rush.

"At least you went home." Stevie spoke up, Joe's eyes snapping open.

"I want you to leave." He said, his voice emotionless.

"Wh- what?"

"You heard me. You've been stringing me along for overt twenty years, enough is enough."

"Joe, no... don't say that." Stevie shook her head, walking over to sit next to him. "Let's talk about it. You didn't utter a word. I know it's wrong what I said, but it's the truth. I thought being honest with you was for the best. However, it doesn't mean I want to leave you."

Joe laughed harshly, putting his guitar away he sat up straight. "You can't be serious, right? You know, I would be heartbroken nevertheless, but I think it wouldn't hurt nearly as much if it was another man. Lindsey? The man who went out of his way to hurt you, who thought he owned you, didn't let you leave his side, then he himself cheated on you? The same man, who told you to abort our daughter? The very same man who invited himself to our wedding, called you terrible names, yet he was screaming how he's the only man you could ever love? Although, as we see now, he was right."

"I love you too, Joe." Stevie reached for his hand and because he didn't snatch it away immediately, she took it as a good sign.

"So you keep saying. The thing is, I can't believe you or trust you anymore. You're my wife, Stevie, you're not supposed to go behind my back and meet with your ex lover no matter what the reason is." Joe fell silent for a moment, he then pulled his hand away from Stevie's. "Why wasn't I enough for you? Sure we've argued over the years, but all things considered, I'd say we've had a pretty damn near perfect marriage."

"Don't talk like that, please..." Stevie whispered, her eyes swimming with tears. "I don't want to end our marriage, Joe. You're right, our life together has been wonderful and you've always treated me like no other man has, you've always loved me. My feelings for you are still strong. The thought of ending our marriage hasn't even crossed my mind."

Joe smiled sadly, facing Stevie. He was looking at her for a long moment, as if trying to memorize her features. "You ended our marriage when you went to see him the first time, whenever that was. You weren't honest with me, you didn't tell me you were going to meet with him. You ended our marriage when you admitted it to yourself that you're still in love with him." Getting up to his feet, Joe let out a heavy breath. "I bought this house for you, for us... picturing raising a family with you here. Now..." Pausing for a second, Joe said. "Now I'm asking you to leave."

"No... Don't, please, Joe." Stevie stood up, closing the gap between them. "You mean so much to me, I don't want this to be the end of us. I love you, I do." She cried, all the words coming out at once.

But Joe just shook his head. "No, Stevie. I can't be married to you, I can't waste any more of my life with you, knowing you'll always wish I was someone else."

Stevie still didn't give up, repeating herself over and over again, but Joe stopped listening at some point, just standing there. Eventually she grew quiet, crying as she stared at him, hoping that his heart will soften and he'll change his mind, but he didn't, instead Joe walked out, leaving Stevie alone.

Without a choice, Stevie left. She didn't stop to pack at least a change of clothes, she just walked out the door. Getting into her rarely driven car, Stevie wandered around for a while, until she mindlessly picked a destination.

Parking the car, with shaky hands Stevie rang the bell and waited for a short moment. The door opened and her tear streaked face, red and puffy eyes was enough for a pair of manly arms to wrap her into his embrace.