The invitation still stands?

Another day of rehearsals came to an end. Everyone had started gathering their belongings, while Lindsey kept glancing at Stevie. He wanted her to hear his song, but he didn't know how to approach her, they constantly had eyes on them. Mick was particularly curious, having covered for Stevie the other day. 

Lindsey didn't have to wonder for too long, when Stevie came up to him herself once she was ready to leave. "Does that invitation for a private performance still stand?"

The corners of his lips turned up and he nodded. "Absolutely."

"Well, let's go then." Stevie smiled and Lindsey didn't question it. Mick, however, frowned at the two leaving together.

Getting in Lindsey's car, Stevie fastened the seat belt and discreetly checked the time. She wasn't going to just leave Lindsey's after he played her the song, which meant she was going to return home late and Joe would have questions.

The drive to Lindsey's didn't take very long and when he pulled into the driveway, Stevie was slightly shocked, seeing the house Lindsey lived in. It was nothing like they used to share back in the 80's and it was at least two times smaller than her and Joe's current estate. 

"I had to downsize." Lindsey spoke up, sensing Stevie's thought. "The money I made with the Mac was gone a lot faster than I imagined it would."

"Well, it's a nice house." Stevie said, following him to the front door. 

"Since it's just me, it's enough." Lindsey shrugged and pushed the door open, showing her to go in first. 

The first thing Stevie noticed was that the place looked well kept. "You're not as messy anymore."

Half-smiling, Lindsey gave a nod of his head. "I'm too old to be building a fort out of empty pizza boxes and bottles. Can I get you anything? I don't really drink anymore, but I'm sure there's a bottle of beer in the fridge."

"No, thanks." Stevie declined with a shake of her head. 

Lindsey showed the way to the one room he spent most of his time to this day. It wasn't as expensive as it once was, but his current studio was still rather well equipped. Stevie could tell Lindsey was looking around for something, then he excused himself and left the room. Taking a seat, Stevie heard her phone ringing in her bag. She quickly rejected Joe's call.

"I was working on something before bed last night." Lindsey came back with his acoustic and sat down opposite Stevie. "I wrote this song years after we broke up. I had gotten sober by then. There was some award show that you were performing at. You know me, I wasn't planning on watching it, but once I saw you... I couldn't take my eyes off you." Lindsey was already playing the melody quietly while he spoke. "Never in a million years I thought I'd get to play it for you."

Once again she steals away
Then she reaches out to kiss me
And how she takes my breath away
Pretending that she don't miss me

Lindsey began softly and Stevie immediately felt the stinging of tears. Singing the chorus, Lindsey's eyes were fixed on Stevie's. His voice got louder, telling her that he would bleed to love her. She had to look away.

And once again she calls to me
Then she vanishes in thin air
And how she takes my breath away 
Pretending that she's not there   

Stevie closed her eyes and leaned forward in her seat, covering her face with both hands. Ooh, I would bleed to love her, Lindsey repeated over again and she let the tears fall. She wasn't just crying, sobbing, as she let go of all the emotions she bottled up, of what happened between them, of the pain they caused each other. Of... Of the past.

Lindsey didn't finish playing, the sight of Stevie in front of him tearing his heart apart. Putting away his guitar gently, Lindsey took a seat beside Stevie and enveloped her in his arms. He soothed her with his voice, one hand rubbing her back, the other tangled in her hair. 

Unable to calm down, Stevie remained in Lindsey's embrace for ten, fifteen minutes or maybe half an hour. They didn't know, they had lost track of time. Once the tears finally subsided, Stevie pulled back and just stared at Lindsey for a moment. Without words they told each other a lot more than communicating with. 

Then there was that incredibly pull between them. 

Bringing his hand up, Lindsey caressed the side of her face and Stevie momentarily closed her eyes. Her fingers closed around his wrist, as if some invisible force telling her this wasn't right, that she shouldn't allow whatever that was about to happen, but her grip loosened and she leaned forward. Lindsey met her half way, capturing her lips softly. The kiss was almost feather like as they lingered for a short moment, like they were afraid of something. 

Stevie broke the kiss at the sound of her phone coming to life again. She looked at Lindsey apologetically and answered the call. After a minute of Joe's nonstop talking, she said, she was on her way home.

"I have to go." Stevie said as a matter of fact and Lindsey gave a nod of his head. "The song is beautiful, Linds. I'm sorry you couldn't play it to the end."

"Maybe another time." He offered with a sad smile. 

Obviously Lindsey couldn't take Stevie home, so she called herself a car. They waited in silence, both aware that after tonight things between them were going to change.

"I'll see you on Monday." Stevie hugged Lindsey goodbye.

"Monday can't come quick enough." He probably shouldn't have said that or tucked a strand of hair behind her ear...

Once seated in the backseat of the car, Stevie rested her head against the window, looking at the passing scenery as she touched her lips, a smile forming on them remembering the feeling of Lindsey's.