Chapter Two

Holy shit, what was I going to do. I was staring into the eyes of a literal goddess, how are you supposed to reply to that.

"Spring. That's me. Also hi." I said nervously. I immediately knew that that was not the way you're supposed to do that.

    I was frozen, unable to look away. I was screwed. Oh well. But, instead of making a concerned yet afraid face, she laughed quietly.

"Well it's very nice to meet you, Spring." She said, smiling. "Today's my first day. You could probably already tell from my grand entrance though."

"Maybe just a little." I laughed. "At least you came in fully clothed though, you'd surprised how often that happens here. I've literally become desensitized."

"Girls," Said Ms. Monro turning away from the board where she was explaining something that I don't really remember, "I really hope that you're discussing something to do with this lesson, because if you're not that's a detention."

"Of course," Said Dax in a comically serious tone, "we were just mentioning how interesting your take on, uh, the rule of thirds. It really is incredible."

I stifled a laugh as Ms. Monro squinted in our direction.

"Fine," She said, "but don't do it again." She turned back to the board and jumped back into the lesson that I guess was about the rule of thirds.

"Oh my god." I whispered, "We almost got our throats slit."

"I know," She giggled, "luckily I'm a wonderful actress."

    The rest of the period was sprinkled with whispered conversation and stifled laughs, as if we had known each other for longer than less than an hour. It was the fastest class of my life.

When the bell rang that signaled our freedom, I was taken off guard. We stood up and grabbed our books.

"It was very nice to meet you, Spring." She smiled, "see you tomorrow."

"You too." was all that I could say.

    The entire bus ride home I was in a cloud. I had never felt this way before, which was weird because I was very emotional. But something about about being around Dax was just so natural. Or maybe I was just bored and any form of entertainment was enough to make me excited. Yeah, I told myself, that was it. My mind floated to the highlighter yellow that hugged her body. She'd be dead long before she could live the life that she had planned, before she could fall in love and get married, before she could see the world, and watch as the world changed around her. The thought made me sad. You'd think that after being surrounded by the same sort of situation on a daily basis, I would stop thinking about it that way. This was usually the case, but like I said, Dax was special. I didn't know just how special quite yet, but I had a bit of a hunch.