Chapter Twenty-five: The Face Behind The Mask

"Down once more to the dungeon of my black despair," The Phantom told Elsa as he held her hand in his. Once again they were down in the labyrinth on their way to her Angels layer.

"Down we plunge to the prison of my mind," he spoke again as he continued to lead Elsa who was watching her Angel with slight worry. Elsa had never heard him speak in such way about his home. Not knowing if she should question him or not, she kept quiet. Elsa merely listened to her Angel.

"Down that path into darkness deep as hell," He yelled which caused a slight gasp to slip from Elsa's lips. With a swift turn, the Angel turned to her.

"Why you ask, was I bound and chained in this cold and dismal place? Not for any mortal sin, but the wickedness of my abhorrent face," her Angel confessed to her as they stood for a moment. Elsa glanced at with sympathy and placed her hand on his cheek. With a weak smile, she stepped forward and placed a sensitive kiss on his lips.

Up above stood a mob. They observed how everything they once knew was bursting into flames. Everything they knew was dying.

"Track down this murderer! He must be found!" The mob yelled as they held their lanterns in their hands. The crowd followed down the corridor that would lead them deep down into the underground of the opera.

"Hounded out by everyone. Met with hatred everywhere. No kind word from anyone. No compassion anywhere," her Angel continued to tell her as he bridal carried her from the gondola. Not caring that his trousers grew wet he continued to carry his beloved.

"Elsa, why? Why?" Her Angel asked as he placed her on her own two feet. Elsa had no answer to give to him. She merely looked at him with sympathy.

Hans and Terpsichore walked down the great stairs in silence. She would not give him any help, he deserved no help after what he had done. He was the one who ruined the Opera. He started the fire. He was the one that prompted to disobey the Phantom. He was to blame.

Terpsichore paused as soon as she saw the water. Then and only then did she speak, "This is as far as I dare go, monsieur. He lives across the lake."

She turns to go back up the stairs. Hans looks at the water questioningly. He removes his coat with speed and plunges in. The mob appears at the top of the stairs. They come down to the lake edge, their torches flicker. Observing the water, they turn back up the stairs. They thought that perhaps there was another way in.

Elsa came out behind the screen. She notices that her Angel was fiddling with the ring she had given him, so she may not lose it as she dressed. He had yet to see her in her gown. Elsa was dressed in a white gown that resembled a wedding dress. The garment was perfect and fit her slender body like a glove.

"A perfect fit," she announces to him as he turned to behold her. He was astounded. He never believed she could look any more attractive, but she proved him wrong. Absolute and magnificent; were words to describe her.

Elsa smiled towards him as she realised he was taken back. Walking towards him, she placed her hand on the mask. Her Angel stiffened and swiftly placed his hand on hers to stop her. Realising his worry, Elsa gave a kind smile.

"Do not fear my love," she whispers to him with a soft and radiant tone. Listening to her, his hand dropped allowing her to slip his mask away.

He stood before her with no mask, nothing to hide his true face. Silently the Phantom watched as she glanced at her face. No sign of fear or disgust. Her eyes remained kind and loving towards him.