"I promise I'll stay," he whispered, kissing me softly. I kissed him back, crawling on top of him to deepen the kiss. He tightened his arms around me as I was rolled underneath him. Carter's hands wandered down to my pants, slowly unbuttoning my pants as I pushed his shirt off his shoulders. I ran my hands down his chest, his slightly defined stomach, and finally stopping at his waist. Carter kissed me harder as his hands slipped under my shirt. I smiled against his lips at how excited he was; Carter was like a kid in a candy store.

~

Carter pulled the blanket off the back of the couch and draped it over us, tucking it around my body as he pulled his boxers on. He kissed my forehead before dancing his way into the kitchen, making me laugh as I watched him. He danced around the kitchen like it was his birthday and Christmas together. I got off the couch and walked over to him, a grin on both our faces. He took my hand and twirled me around the table before catching me and dipping me.

"Hello, beautiful," he murmured, kissing me softly. I giggled and wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him close. He pulled back as he held me to his chest. "I love you, Mel. I really do." He said softly. I nuzzled my head in the center of his chest, trailing my fingers along his scar. Carter stopped my hand midway down the scar and held my hand there, his heart beating like a drum. I kissed his hand as I whispered;

"I love you too." Carter grinned and held my hand in his, kneading the back of my hand with his thumb. I leaned in and kissed him, pressing one hand to his heart while the other was wrapped around his neck. Carter wrapped his arms tightly around me, his lips molded over mine. He backed me into the table as the blanket fell around my ankles. Carter picked me up and laid me on the table, crawling over me and kissing me hard. He touched me like no boy I had ever been with has ever touched me. I gasped and tipped my head back, arching my body into his. He trailed his lips down my body, teasing me as I tangled my fingers in his hair.

I moaned as he kissed back up my body. "Carter," I moaned, trailing my hands down his abs. I gasped as he licked behind my ear, pressing his body against mine as he pulled his boxers off. I dug my fingers into his shoulders as Carter ran his hands down my sides. This was heaven.

~

I woke up in Carter's bed wearing his boxers and tee shirt. I rolled over and looked at his clock, 2:00 p.m. it read. I sighed and laid back against the pillows; Carter wouldn't get out of work until five. I sighed as I pushed myself into a sitting position, contemplating what to do. I forced myself out of the bed and into the kitchen, making myself breakfast and calling my mom. The phone rang three before she picked up, like clockwork. We talked about the trip, how Carter was doing, pretty much everything. I blushed when we talked about Carter so casually; he was so much more than my best friend now, he's the one.

"So," mom started. "What's the deal with you and Carter? Are you two dating again, have you two worked things out?" She asked. I smiled as I ran a hand through my hair. 

"He's the one, mom," I said softly. "I know I've said that before, but I mean it this time." I could hear her singing around the house, a grin undoubtedly on her face.

"Are you two being careful with the… you know, hankie pankie?" She asked, making me blush. The front door opened and shut, making me jump slightly. Carter walked in to the kitchen, a grin on his face as his arms were wrapped around me. "Melanie, are you still there?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, Mom, Carter just came home. He wants to talk to you." I said as I pressed the phone to his ear with a smirk. Carter and my mother talked for several moments, the entire time Carter's face changing colors as they did. I wrapped my arms around his waist as I pressed my face into his chest, smothering my laughs. He hung up moments later, wrapping his arms tightly around me. Carter tipped my chin up, smiling at me.

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?" He asked.  I nodded slightly as I rested my head against his chest. I yawned slightly as Carter held me to him. "When did you wake up?" He murmured. 

"Two in the afternoon, I was really tired," I mumbled into his chest. I hugged Carter closer as I yawned again. "Actually, I'm still tired. When did we go to bed?" I asked as I looked up at him. He pressed his lips to my forehead, a slight grin on his lips.

"We fell asleep around one in the morning." He murmured, kissing me lightly. "You were tired last night. Have you been taking the medications to help you sleep?" He asked, running his fingers through his hair. I shook my head as his fingers brushed my cheek. "Are the meds helping, Mel?" I shook my head again as I bit my lip.

"They make me feel fuzzy and I can't think straight. I hate them, Carter." I whimpered, looking at him. He kissed my head as I shakily ran my hands through my hair. I hated being an insomniac, but I can't sleep at night anymore. What makes it worse is that all of my past relationships fell apart because my exes didn't know how to handle me when I took my meds. It's like I wasn't even myself when they were in my system. We were silent for a while, Carter kneading my hip as he thought about something. 

"Carter," I murmured, touching his cheek. "We're going to get married someday, right?" I asked softly as I wrapped my arms around him. He pressed his lips to my forehead as he took my hand, leading me to the living room. I was starting to think he was never going to answer me as he sat me down on the couch. Carter sat across from me on the coffee table, taking my hands in his.

"Mel," he started as he played with my fingers. "You mean the world to me. And I want to be able to give you the wedding of your dreams. Hell, I want to be able to give you everything you want. But right now, I just don't have the money for any of it." He said as he leaned his head against mine. He smiled at something he was thinking about as he looked at me. 

"What?" I murmured as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He shook his head as he kissed my forehead. Carter pulled the chain that held his parent’s dog tags out if his shirt, fumbling with the clasp to get it off. I watched Carter as he pulled my father’s ring off of it. 

"Your mom gave me this the day we graduated. She made me promise that no matter what choices I made, I'd always be there for you. But I haven't done what I promised. I hurt you so much I thought you'd never forgive me." He said, pausing to thumb the ring. "I know I haven't been the best friend you've needed me to be or even the boyfriend you've wanted me to be; but if you let me, I promise I'll be there for you." He whispered, taking my face in his hands. I leaned in and kissed him, wrapping my arms tightly around him. He held me close, not once letting me go.

I bit his lip softly before whispering, "You promise?" He pulled back slightly, nodding slowly. I grinned at him, pressing my lips to his. He took my left hand and slid the ring on my ring finger, taking my face in his hands and kissing me again.

"I promise, Mel." He whispered against my lips. I kissed him again, crawling into his lap as he held my hips firmly in his hands. I cupped his face in my hands, kissing him harder. "If we're ever pregnant, you need to tell me, Mel. Okay?" He murmured against my lips. I pulled back and stared at him, my hands wandering to my stomach.

"I'm not pregnant." I said. Carter rested his hand over mine, leaning down and pressing his lips to my stomach. "I'm not pregnant," I repeated, tears coming to my eyes. Carter sat up and looked at me, his arms tightly around me.

"Shh," he whispered, pressing his lips to my forehead. "We aren't pregnant. Please calm down." He said, rocking me gently. He held me for a long time as we sat there, our hands rested over my stomach as if it held the answer to an important question.