Chapter 45

Joey's POV

Caroline: "Mom?"

There was a moment of silence. Not much light was given off from the lights in front of the hotel, but there was enough to let me get a good look at Caroline's mom.

From what I could see, they had very similar facial features. It doesn't take a genius to know the two of them are related. The only difference between them, other than height and age, was that Caroline's mom has dark brown eyes, whereas Caroline has dark green eyes.

Caroline continued to stand there with a look on her face that was a mixture between confused and surprised. Not quite knowing what to say next, Caroline looked at me. That led to her mother also looking at me.

Caroline's Mom: "Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?"

Caroline: "This is my boyfriend, Joey. Joey, this is Brooke."

Brooke: "It's nice to meet you, Joey."

She extended her arm in my direction. I shook her hand before holding Caroline's hand.

Brooke: "And Caroline, I would prefer if you would call me 'mom' instead of my first name."

Caroline: "And I would prefer if you would be fine with being called by your first name."

Brooke: "And why is that?"

Caroline: "I don't know. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I haven't seen you in over 10 years and you're not much of a mom to me anymore."

Brooke: "Well I'd love to reconnect and rebuild our relationship. If you're available tomorrow afternoon, I'd love for you to stop by your father and I's house to catch up."

Caroline: "As fun as that sounds, I don't think that will happen. Joey and I fly back to California tomorrow."

Me: "We don't leave until 8:15 PM."

Caroline shoots me a look. I know that she doesn't want to talk to Brooke. I can tell by the way she's talking. But I think it would be good for her to reconnect with her mom.

Brooke: "Lovely. Well I'll write down my phone number and address for you. You can come over for lunch tomorrow, if that's ok with you guys."

Caroline: "It isn-"

Me: "It is."

She handed Caroline a piece of paper and a few dollars.

Brooke: "The money is for another Starbucks drink. Anyways, I should get going now. I sincerely hope you come over tomorrow, Caroline."

Both of us watched as Brooke walked away.

Me: "Well what are the odds of that happening?"

Caroline: "Pretty damn high, apparently."

Caroline and I walked back to Starbucks, got Caroline another drink, and walked back to the hotel.

-in the room-

Caroline: "I hope you know how much I don't want to go to her house tomorrow."

Me: "Why not?"

Caroline: "Because."

Me: "We both know that's not a legit reason."

Caroline: "I just don't like her. She thinks she can just waltz back into my life."

Me: "But she was so nice. You at least have to give her a chance, Caroline. It's obvious how much she wants to rebuild your relationship with her."

Caroline: "I really don't want to though. And you know I'm not good at letting people get close to me."

Me: "You let me get close to you pretty easily."

Caroline: "Thats because you're you and I love you."

Me: "And I love you. But seriously, we should have lunch with her tomorrow."

Caroline: "Joey-"

Me: "It's not like you'll be alone with your parents, Matthews. I'll be there with you."

She sighed.

Caroline: "Fine."

-the next day-

Caroline's POV

Joey and I stood in front of my parents's house. The house was a decent size with lots of plants in the front yard. The ground was covered in about 2 inches of snow.

Joey: "Ready?"

Me: "As I'll ever be."

We walked to the front door and rang the doorbell. A few moments passed before Brooke opened the door.

Brooke: "Hello. I'm glad you decided to come over. Please come in."

-Authors Note-

Sorry this chapter is shorter than usual. I had an English project that I had to work on this week and it took up a lot of my spare time. And I'm leaving to go to a friends house for a sleepover, so I can't work on it later today. But I hope you guys still enjoyed it nonetheless.

I hope you guys had a wonderful week. Yesterday in English we watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (we are reading Night, which is about the holocaust) and in dance we watched Frozen (the seniors were at some assembly thing, so it was only the sophomores and juniors in class). So yesterday wasn't too terrible. And we have no school today so that's good.

Thank you so much for reading yet another chapter of the story and I'll post the next chapter on Thursday!

Kik: @thatgirlcaroline_

Instagram: @Carolineanya