27. Mirage

Chapter 27: Mirage

"Nina, come down or you'll be late!" I faintly hear aunt Sarah yelling from the foyer.

My first instinct is to ignore her, but that'll only make her come right up and physically make me come downstairs.

"I'll be down in a bit" I call back, hoping I can get this eyeliner on straight and be done with it.

Finally getting it right, I toss the eyeliner tube back onto Riley's vanity table, double and triple checking myself in the mirror, I turn off my stereo and hurry down the hallway. I was never this particular about how I looked for school in the morning, but ever since Chris had been acting different and distant with me, I found myself making more of an effort to look okay. It was Kadirah's idea really and it was worth a shot if it meant that Chris could go back to giving me the attention that he used to.

Aunt Sarah is standing at the bottom of the stairs, sipping a steaming cup of coffee, her work pants hugging her in all the right places and her blazer looking like it came right off the runway. She glanced up at me as I descended and I caught the corners of her lips turning up.

Her eyes scanned my tight fitted clothing and the make up on my face before her brow shot up. "Is it me, or are you trying to impress somebody special today?" She asked, a soft lilt to her voice as I felt my face heat up. I was suddenly second guessing my outfit choice.

"No" I muttered defensively, walking right past her and into the kitchen where a muffin and a cup of orange juice sat in the middle of the counter. Sitting down at the table, I heard her heels clicking against the tiled floor behind me as she entered the kitchen.

"Really, because I don't recall you ever having the urge to wear makeup, it's nice, but I know it's not you" she said as she sat down in front of me, her eyes once again appraising me from head to toe. I sighed, running my hands through my loosely curled hair and dropped my school bag onto the table.

"I'm eighteen now, am I not allowed to try new things?"

Aunt Sarah silently stared at me. I could tell she was trying to figure out what I was thinking inside. "Of course you are. It's just all so sudden"

I bit my bottom lip hard, I was never the one to open up but I guess now was as good a time as any. "I don't know, it's just C-Chris has been acting weird and he's been kind of distant lately"

Sarah squinted her eyes and rested her elbows on the table, leaning closer to me. Seems as though I have piqued her interest further.

"When did you start noticing this?"

"A little over a month ago"

She looked taken aback for a brief second, the way she recoiled at my words. "Why didn't you tell me about this sooner. You could've talked to me?"

"I know, I know. I just thought that whatever he was going through would blow over if I gave him time. But quite frankly, it's been getting worse" I said, nibbling on my lower lip, aunt Sarah could see the worry on my face now.

She sighed and scooted closer to me. "I think you should try to speak to him again, I highly doubt it's the way you look that's making him act the way he is right now. You're a smart, beautiful girl, Nina and Chris fell in love with you ... the natural you"