4. "Do I make you nervous?"

Chapter 4: "Do I make you nervous?"

I sighed chucking my notepad to the end of my bed, annoyed that my writing wasn't coming out the way I wanted it to. Today was Saturday and Sarah had me cooped up in the house after noticing my trouble breathing and walking upright. I had to tell her I had accidentally bumped into a door and hit my wound although judging by the look in her eyes I could tell she knew I wasn't being truthful.

I was currently trying to write some chapters of my book but was failing miserable. I had made the characters so cheerful and happy when I started the book a couple years ago but now my feelings have changed and I'm finding it hard to put those feelings which I don't feel into the characters. Sure, I can fake it, but it wouldn't be a genuine book if I did. I want what the characters feel to be as believable as possible.

I looked into the corner of my side of the room and groaned. There is a box in the corner just sitting there which I haven't touched. A box who's contents have not seen the light of day for many a month. Writers will be familiar with it, and I simple call it the 'unfinished book pile'. I stuffed many note books I have given up on in the hopes that I never have to deal with them again and I feel as though the book will be going straight into that box with the rest of them.

"Nina" Aunt Sarah chimed as she poked her head into the room after knocking on the door. I sat up on the bed as she casually walked in.

"I'm going to the store, Riley is being ridiculous and I need someone to help me take the stuff into the car when I'm done" She said as she sent a toothy smile my way. There was no way I could say no when she was looking at me like that.

"Sure, I'll get ready" I said looking down and noticing that I was still in my pjs and laughing when Aunt Sarah threw a fist pump into the air.

"Thank you, Nina. Just come down when you're ready to go" She smiled at me before leaving. I couldn't think why Riley was such a pain to her mother, she was honestly adorable.

After I had gotten dressed into something I could actually be seen outside in, I walked to the door, The full length mirror on Riley's side of the room caught my attention and I sighed. I could barely even recognise my own reflection or the girl that I used to be. I was looking into the mirror and seeing someone else.  I looked at myself in my bedroom mirror and couldn't stop staring into my eyes. They looked so strange and unlike mine. It was as if I were evil or possessed. My weak smile looked more sinister than anything, and I actually frightened myself. As I moved around roughly pulling on the hem of my t-shirt, it was as if someone else were standing on the other side of the mirror attempting to mimic my movements. They didn't seem to match up. I slowly raised the thin crumpled fabric of my t-shirt up, high enough to be faced with my revolting purple scar. I grimaced at the look of it, the events of that night swarming into my mind and taking over my thoughts like a plague.

"Nina!"

I jumped up at the sound of my Aunt's loud voice, moving back from the mirror and stepping out of it's four frames to be faced with the wooden door.

"I'm coming!" my croaky voice delivered in a sad attempt to be heard just as I pushed the door open making my way to the foyer.

"Well don't you look pretty" Sarah chimed grabbing her coat off of the rack as she simultaneously slipped her feet into a pair of heels. I offered a half smile as I tugged on my t-shirt, knowing she was only saying it to make me feel better.

"Oh cheer up honey" She threw her arm over my shoulder while I fought the urge to shrug her arm away from me. "I'll let you pick out anything you want, how about that?" She offered with a wide grin while I shrugged, forcing my smile to be more convincing this time around.