5: Awaken.

My mind skips as I try to make sense of what has happened. What is happening. But as I cough, hand on my throat, rapidly blinking my eyes to clear my sight, adrenalin takes over and I'm pulling myself up. In between coughing I shout,

"Where are you?!" I'm terrified, unsteady and shaking, "You think you can mess with me? I'll kill you!"

I'm projecting anger as hard as the memory from moments before flashes into my mind how strong he was, how I couldn't move, how it felt when I couldn't breathe. And whatever else he did. I can barely hear, all I can make out is a deep rumble, like there's something over my ears or I'm under water. My vision starts to clear and I see my bag on the ground. I lunge toward it and fall to the floor again. I grab onto it and turn back around, looking for him. Every time I move all I hear is distorted sound, like something heavy being dragged across a floor, everything warping and twisting. Under my body I feel the train slowing down and feel hope come in under the terror. Even if he's still here if I can just get to the doors I'll be safe. There'll be people there, police, someone to help me.

I tense and get ready to run. I throw my body up, pushing past the vertigo I feel and propel myself down the carriage to the doors using the chairs as support, turning my head from side to side to look for him, but the carriage is empty. I get to the doors and make out the light of the platform up ahead, coming closer. I put my back against the door and mash my hand against the emergency intercom. Pressing it again and again. Watching as the platform comes even closer, still looking for a man that isn't here. A voice crackles into life.

"Hello. Yes. This is the conductor." It sounds so far away, like an echo in a tunnel.

"I need help. Someone has attacked me. I don't know where he is -"

"Hold on. Say that again please."

" — he grabbed me and he might be here and — " I'm sobbing now and struggling to talk, but I can see the platform. I can see the lights and the people and —

"Miss, tell us your carriage number. It will be a few inches up above the speaker"

"I can't make it out, he did something to me, I —" The train is about to stop, I start pushing the release button already, waving at people to get their attention. Just a few more seconds and I'll be safe.

"Miss, everything will be okay. We're alerting the station guards and they'll meet you —"

The train stops. The button turns green. I press it and through glass panes I see people, shocked and concerned looks on their faces. I see some guards further back, talking into a radio, another turning toward the carriage, turning toward me. I see my face reflected in the window, blurry and red, makeup smudged with tears. I see light and freedom and safety. I hear a muffled warning tone as the doors start to open. I push through, trying to get out faster. A hand reaches out to help. I grasp it. The hand is warm, mine is sweaty. I'm through the doors, I'm safe. I'm not alone.

My foot touches the platform.

Then all the light,

 the faces,

 the people,

 the sounds,

 the safety, —

 disappear. 

 As I fall into darkness.

********

A bit of a shorter one this time! But to be honest I don't think I could have handled this time slowed down level of suspense for much longer. If you're enjoying the story or have any feedback please feel free to leave a comment or vote :)

Heath