Clock | Gonzalo Castro

"Are you part of Mrs. Castro's family?"

I suddenly heard a voice echoing from the door and looked up to see a young woman staring back at me.

"Yes, I'm her husband." I managed to say and she nodded.

"Your wife's doctor needs to talk to you, Mr. Castro. Can you follow me, please?"

"If you don't mind, can you ask the doctor to come here? I don't want to leave her alone..." I sighed looking down at my barely alive wife.

And to think she is fighting for her life connected to all of these wires and machines because someone was stupid enough to drive while completely drunk.
I tried to swallow the lump in my throat to answer the kind woman when she said the doctor was coming, but I couldn't.

"Baby, please, wake up. You are strong enough to win this fight, do it for us, baby, please!"

She has two little tubes getting air into her lungs, lots of wires connect to all of her body and needles, purple bruises and a few cuts in her perfect skin; the incredible beautiful hair she loves and cares about so much was shaved off and there's quite a few stitches in a big cut down her scalp...

I sighed once again, wiping the tears away, at the sight of my beautiful wife so hurt and lifeless because someone else's irresponsibility.

"Mr. Castro? Excuse me." I heard another female voice after a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I looked up to see Sophie's doctor standing at the door.

She looked tired and sad and my heart missed a beat at the thought of what she would say to me.

"Mr. Castro, I'm afraid I don't have good news..."

"I was hoping you wouldn't say anything like that" I wrapped my hands in Sophie's left one, one of the few parts she hadn't a bruise and/or cut in it.

"I'm really sorry to say this to you, Mr. Castro, but we did everything we could and there's nothing more a human being can do to change the situation your wife is under right now. And speaking in humanly terms..." she sighed and I felt my heart stopping. "She might not live to see the sunrise tomorrow. I'm sorry."

She left and I felt she took my heart out of my chest with her bare hands. How is this fair? We are about to celebrate our first anniversary and she might be... No no no no!!! This isn't fair.

I took back her pale and cold hand on mine and I couldn't control the urge to cry. The love of my life is... I can't even say it.

"Baby, please, you can do this, I believe in you. Come back." the tears were too much for me to keep talking and I kept silence, praying she would prove the doctor wrong.

•••••

It has been hours since the worst news I've ever received and I'm still awake, I just can't keep my eyes closed. My mind keep replaying every single moment Sophie and I had together... I just don't know what to do anymore.

"Soph, baby... I know you are in there somewhere and you are listening to me... I'm going crazy in this hospital room since you got here. I miss you so much, liebe, wake up, please."

I lost count of how many tears I cried or how many times I let out a sigh in despair since she was hit by that stupid drunk man.

"Soph, do you remember when we first met? Back when we were a bit too young to think about 'the future' and settle down?! But I thought about marrying you that day, you know that?! I never told you before because I was afraid to scare you away and now I wish I had said before. You were just... I don't know how to describe, but I knew you were my one that day... That's why I fought so hard to get that one date with you... I've never felt happier when you finally said yes. You made me very happy with this tiny little word three times, you know?! When you said yes to go on a date with me, when you said yes to be my girlfriend and when you said yes to marry me. Oh the marrying me part... I was really nervous that day, so nervous I let go of my plan and decided to ask you at home, when you were just waking up with a messy hair and my shirt on. The smile you gave me is still tattooed on my mind, right now if I close my eyes I swear to you I can see that smile again... I wish you could wake up and smile to me again, Soph... Please do, I miss your smile, I miss your sparkling green-ish eyes, I miss your sweet voice, I miss you, love... Please, wake up... I won't know what to do with my life if you don't wake up..." I felt the lump in my throat getting even bigger.

How am I supposed to live without her?

She's the one that keeps me going day by day. I wasn't lost before I find her, but I sure will be of a lose her after have her.

The accident day I was leaving for training, I kissed her goodbye and said I loved her, like I did every single morning I had to leave for training, and she kissed me back and said she loved me too. "I love you" was the last thing we said to each other.

Right after the beginning of the training someone ran up to me with my phone in hand and it was that time my world collapsed. My teammates call every now and then during the day and a few (a lot!) of then stop by for a quick visit during the day as well, I couldn't ask for better friends. During this week they are really helping to keep me sane. Until today.

Now I don't believe anyone will be able to keep me sane if I lose her by the sunrise.

I took a look at the clock, 6 in the morning.

The sun will rise in a few and I'm scared as hell each time it moves, every minute that goes might be the last one I have with her physically by my side, with her fingers laced to mine... I wish I could stop the clock and have her hand in mine forever, even though she can't answer me, but...

"Soph, Soph! What's happening??"

Her body start to tremble and the machine that tells her heart rate was going crazy. Suddenly the door was pushed open and lots of doctors and nurses rushed into the room.

"Mr. Castro, you have to wait outside." one of them tried to take me out, but I refused. "Mr. Castro, please, you are not allowed in here anymore. We need you to wait outside."

And somehow they managed to get me out of the room and the last thing I saw was one of the doctors putting his hands on her chest while the machine started to make a constant sound.

××
Okay... (I'm back, yay!)
I'm not sure how I'm feeling right now...
You can blame my father for this idea, he told me a story yesterday and my mind came back with this.
I loved, it is sad and I cried, but I loved.
Did you?!
See you next time 😘