[서른] Humanization

"I don't think we get to save people anymore."

~Carol Peletier

Bang, bang, bang.

"Can someone please turn on some music?" Someone suggested.

"Yo, turn that shit off!" A voice shouted as a vintage song started to play loudly.

"What? Absolutely not!" Another voice shouted, turning it up louder. "I want a cheerful song if we're going to do this."

Bang, bang, bang.

"Now this is real music!" Someone else had changed the music to punk rock.

"Ah, how I miss the early 2000's. When music was good."

"When there was actually music," Someone retorted, causing several people to laugh.

Bang, bang, bang.

"We could always start a band in the meantime."

"Screw you guys. If you're going to put rock, put on some actual rock." The song shifted once again.

"Of course, the Brit would say that." This earned chuckles around the room.

"Don't even think about putting Easy Street on." This caused several groans around the room.

"Guys, stop messing around. Let's just get this over with."

Bang, bang, bang.

"Why are we even doing this? We already know that this will all be over once those cadavers decompose. And going off the data we have, that will be pretty soon."

"And the embalmment chemicals I made for the cadaver in the tank prevented it from succumbing wholly to decomposition."

"Plus I checked the reservoir where we trapped that massive heard... Hundreds of them can no longer stand. They're already at the advanced decay stage."

"And with spring coming soon..."

"It's only a matter of time. Their brains stems should be decompos-"

"Yeah, I know. We've studied their brains before."

"Then why are we doing this?!"

Bang, bang, bang.

"Because none of that matters if people can still turn!" Dante exclaimed as he pulled open the steel mortuary compartment. "It's not so much about finding a 'cure' than it is about finding a vaccine. And like Commander Rhee suggested, we have never studied a living human."

A screaming and naked Jesus was revealed to be the source of the noise. His hair had been shaven off, revealing stitches on where Maiya had smashed his head. He immediately jumped up, but the team of medics and scientists quickly restrained him back down. He desperately tried to fight back, but the syringe injected into his arm quickly sedated him.

"Things were getting pretty boring anyway," Cora stated, pulling the syringe out and tossing it in a biohazard bin.

"And if things go wrong, we'll have some legs for Jeffrey," Lillith laughed as did the others.

The medical team lifted Jesus onto the operating table while the science crew started to adjust the equipment, charging up their AED defibrillator and ECT machine.

Once they finished strapping Jesus onto the table and gagging him, Dante spoke into a recorder.

"Patient One is our first living human subject. We will first put him under duress to see how much his body can handle before we start injecting chemicals into his bloodstream. Finally, we will examine his brain and inject various substances to see what can prevent decay."