♪ FORTY-EIGHT ♪

"Aurora," Jonah says softly, shutting his bedroom door behind them. "They're your parents, aren't they?"

"What gave that away?" She snaps, running a hand through her hair as she paces the length of the room, her breathing quickening. "The fact that we share the same last name or me currently FREAKING THE FUCK OUT?"

"Calm down," he soothes, moving closer despite her attempts to push him away.

"I most certainly will not calm down!" She shrieks, stiffening as he pulls her into a hug. "Let me go, Jonah."

"No, Aurora. If I do, you'll either break something or end up hurting yourself," Jonah explains. "There's no need to freak out. We'll think of something."

She doesn't listen, choosing instead to continue fighting her way out of his grasp. Pulling back as far as his arms will allow me, she tries to swat his hands away, stopping only when her wrists slip out of his hold on her.

"I'm sorry," Aurora mutters, suddenly feeling guilty. Still keeping her distance, she glowers at his shirt instead of making eye contact. "I shouldn't push you away when you're trying to help me."

"Aurora, look at me," Jonah pleads.

She shakes her head resolutely, silently fuming.

Jonah carefully steps closer and slowly reaches out to tilt her chin upwards. Having no choice but to make eye contact, Aurora's glare softens as she looks at Jonah, his eyes filled with worry.

"There's a side door downstairs you and I can sneak out of when everyone goes into the dining room," he tells her. "You'll be able to avoid your parents and I can show you around Stillwater."

"But I don't want your parents to think I'm rude," she protests. "And I haven't even met your dad yet."

"You can meet him when we explain the situation to them later," Jonah reassures her. "They won't think you're rude."

"I don't deserve you," she sighs, resting her head on his chest. "You deserve a girl that isn't a total bitch with a ton of fucking problems."

"You are not a total bitch," Jonah states firmly. "And there isn't a single thing wrong with you. You're perfect, never think otherwise."

Aurora's response is cut off by the door cracking open and Esther Grace poking her head through. "Mom wants you and Aurora to come to the living room."

"Are the neighbors in there too?" Jonah questions, glancing down at Aurora as he does so.

"Last I checked, they were in the kitchen," Esther says, not waiting for a reply as she shuts the door again.

Lifting her head off of Jonah's chest, his arm drops from her waist once he's sure she's no longer being irrational.

"You don't have to go downstairs if you don't want to," Jonah begins. "You can stay in here while I te-"

"I'll go downstairs," she decides. "If my parents are in the kitchen, they won't even see us. If they aren't, well, I'll cross that bridge when we get there."

"Are you sure about this?"

She nods, entwining her hand in his as he leads her into the hallway. Her nerves begin to skyrocket as she fully comprehend how close she is to actual family members for the first time in two and a half years.

Though she loves Jonah and his ability to understand and comfort her, Aurora wishes more than anything that she had Mark by her side as she risks facing her biological parents.

Loud, calloused laughter reaches her ears halfway down the stairs. She freezes, which causes Jonah to halt.

Drawing in a shaky breath before Jonah can say anything, she begins moving again. He looks at her, obviously concerned but doesn't comment.