Season's Greetings 2: The Hunter [5 of 5]

5: Eila

I should have woken with a start.

The mounting fear in my gut should have ripped me from an uneasy, nightmare filled sleep, and the sudden memory of the danger we were in should have flooded me the instant I opened my eyes, propelling me to my feet, ready to run.

But it didn't.

Because, there was no fear, and no nightmares had haunted me.

I awoke slowly, the last rays of the afternoon sun warm on my skin. The strange, comforting scent that had filled the world of my dreams still seemed to linger in the air, like the last remnants of my sleep had decided to stay and mix with the waking world.

It was musky and male, smelling of dry wood and crackling fires, freshly turned earth and warm spices.

It made me think of my father returning from work, calloused hands lovingly tousling my hair when I grew too old to be lifted, smelled of rough and tumble play with my brothers when we were still kids, Temus carrying me home on his back when I scraped my knee.

It was the scent of forcing Rem and Kylar to hold still while I washed their hair, the scent of home and warmth and comfort, the scent of fathers and brothers and of the heart-pounding promise of something more yet to come.

It had been there, while I dreamed of happier days.

I remember feeling warm, safe and protected, as if the memories I relieved in my dreams had somehow reached out into the real world to shield me and Emmi from all of its dangers.

I had slept deeply and peacefully in a way I hadn't since falling asleep in my father's arms as a little child.

I awoke slowly, feeling warm and well rested, Emmi laying sprawled on top of me, the smile I had worn in my sleep still on my lips.

I knew, that once I permitted it, awareness of our situation would come flooding back, returning the fear to my gut, making me jump up in panic, horrified at having wasted time we did not have by falling asleep.

But for now, just for another minute or two, I was still able to keep those thoughts away, allowing myself this tiny moment of utter peace, enjoying the last remnants of the warmth and safety I had felt in my sleep, while breathing the last faint snatches of that alluring, almost intoxicating scent I had dreamed.

========================

Aaand that's all.

_____________________

Oh, wait, no.

I am an evil and awful person, so here's a tease for something that might not be ready by next year :'D

=======================

How Not To Frighten Adorable Tiny Things

A handy guide by Rion The Amazing

Step 1.

You failed.

How Not To Frighten Adorable Tiny Things Any More Than You Already Did, You Stupid Git

A handy guide by Rion The Stupid Git

Step 1.

Do not threaten to crush other humans under your foot.

Step 2.

Do not shout angrily at other humans.

Step 3.

Do not do anything angrily.

Step 4.

Do not shout.

Step 5.

Show your friendly intentions by carefully stroking the Adorable Tiny Thing to soothe it.

Correction:

Step 5.

DO NOT BLOODY TOUCH.

Step 6.

SERIOUSLY. DO. NOT. TOUCH.

Step 7.

No touching.

Step 8.

Do not reach out after Adorable Tiny Thing when it tries to crawl away from you in utter terror.

Step 9.

Do tell Adorable Tiny Thing that you intend to cut its bonds BEFORE you pull out your knife.

Step 10.

Oh Shit, no, no, no, don't scream!

Step 11.

It's okay, it's okay, I promise!

Step 12.

No, please, please don't cry like that!

Step 13.

Gods, I'm so, so sorry.

Step 14.

Please, please stop crying, I won't hurt you, I promise! I didn't mean to scare you like that.

Step 15.

Oh my gosh, you're hurt. There, now I'll just... no, no don't scream, it's okay, oh please stop crying, I was just going to... no, please, don't panic! It's okay, everything is going to be okay, please, just calm down, gods I'm so sorry, I really didn't mean to...! See? It's okay I'm just going to- no, please, don't struggle like that, it's- oh damn, now I've scared you even more, I'm so sorry! Don't cry, don't cry, it's okay, I promise I won't-

Step 16.

Hey, are you alright? Gods, did you just pass out?! Oh no, no, no, please, you didn't just pass out...!

Step 17.

Do not speak. Do not move. Sit in your corner and think about what you have done.

_____________________

'Happy Hug A Tiny Day' y'all! ❤