seventeen | M E D I O X U M A T E

There was an agonizing grip on her heart. She wanted to live so badly, but so many obstacles made things worse as the days passed. She's been hunted by both the armies of machines and YorHa and who knows what the Commander would do if she was sent back to the Bunker. Surely, she wouldn't let her out of her sight again and increase security. At the same time, her body is used to the pressure of space, leaving her bone structure frail and her muscles incredibly weak. She wouldn't be able to last one day without Caine, yet she longed to be independent once more-- to be able to inhale the air without sensing even a tinge of eyes taking on her back.

Again, she was surrounded by the dark, yet illuminating figures asking for her body. Was there some bit of history she looked over? Mankind may be extinct, but the reason for their extinction was never mentioned in her studies. Was it an illness? Surely, she knew that the aliens arrived long after the humans became extinct, and YorHa no longer served a purpose without _____. White sure was insistent on eradicating the machines, even if she knew the truth. Then it hit her; her very existence was the reassurance the Commander needed.

"Set your soul free from this barren land. It is no longer for you," these beings around her said. Strangely enough, they stopped trying to attack her, but they all held a stance that told her that she had to decide what to do before they could be even lay their hands on her.

"What will you do with my body? If you are phantoms of the past coming to possess this container of a body, you should realize that I don't have the strength to fight," she responds while getting on her knees and then setting her left foot on the ground.

"Nonsense, any body will do!" One of the beings exclaimed as they lashed out at ____.

The attack was futile, it was deflected by a defensive electric barrier as _____ stood on her own two feet. As she tried to back into the center of the compact space, her body bumped onto a smooth flesh-like texture that made goosebumps form along her back. She didn't want to move away, yet she also desired to run as far away as possible.

Eve interjected, "Have you made up your mind?"

Adam added, "We'll always protect you... until the end of your time."

Damn, why was everything so difficult? Why was she born in this generation of warring machines and androids? Why did she have to get involved? Why did she leave the Bunker in the first place? These questions taunted her, conflicted with her morals and all she wanted at the moment was to curl up in a ball and let all her tears loose. She'd wish to be free, yet it came with a price.

It wasn't a surprise her obstinate mind had caused her to be in this situation, but she also refused to admit that she made a mistake. If this was the price of freedom, she would give her very life to preserve every bit of the clean air she got. She would run as long and far as possible.

"Your attempts of freedom are in vain. You will eventually have to choose, or else we will decide for you," she couldn't interpret who said what, but she determined it was a mix of Adam, Eve, and the distorted whispers of the dark beings surrounding the outside of this barrier created by the two machine brothers.

At that moment, the barrier separating _____ and these beings began to fade. Her heart beat rapidly, was she going to die here? Now? What would she do?

A call of her name broke through and it became louder as seconds pass.

"_____, _____!"

It was Caine's voice. He was calling to her, but from where? She gazed beyond the opponents that approached her, but saw no one. All of a sudden a warm feeling floods her chest as she peers down at her bosom. Red tainted the white buttoned shirt that covered her. The color began to drench down her abdomen and she looked back up, only to see Caine gripping the hilt of a silver blade in his hand. That same blade pierced through her.