fifteen | E N S C O N S E

Bringing a numb hand to rub her crusty eyes, _____ peeled the cold wet cloth she felt on her head and placed it on the ground. She groaned at her current state of weakness and for the most part, she only thought of the irritating feeling in her chest. While her vision danced around, her eyes tried to focus on looking for a specific blond male. Realizing he was nowhere in sight, she pushed her back from the ground and sat up. The cloak that blanketed her began to roll off of her shoulders.

"Caine?" _____ groggily called out due to the phlegm coating her esophagus. "Cai--ne..." a cough interrupted her call.

_____ ceased speaking as it would probably spark the attention of machines that could lurk nearby. In attempt to clear away the blockage in her throat, she spat out the mucus that gathered at the back of her tongue. Afterwards, she reached for her canteen to drink the water that was replenished, probably by Caine. It seems that Caine was out for a while since the fire had already been reduced to a small pile of ash and burnt logs emitting minimal smoke.

A shiver ran down her spine and she fell back onto the cobblestone and stared at the cracked stone ceiling. She wondered where her guardian had gone and worried constantly of his whereabouts. He left no note or any sign of his strange disappearance. Out of all the people she's met, Caine gave off a more cold front than she could keep up, and compared to 2B or A2, his atmosphere was more perverse and cloudy, as if there were a cloud constantly hanging over his head. Most likely he acted that way because he wanted to recover his memories, yet didn't know where to start.

"He must've requested to do as he pleases so that I wouldn't get in his way of recovering his memories." _____  turned to her side. "Perhaps he'll leave when he does and I'll have to find a new corpse to revive."

A cackle from behind ______ made her sit up abruptly from her laying position and stare into the all-too-familiar green eyes of Caine. "You really think you can dispose of me? I'm not trash."

The female sighs as she settles back down. "You sure do act like it."

Letting our labored coughs, Caine strides to her body as he presents her with a white bottle much similar to the one she packed at the Resistance Camp. Twisting the cap open, he tilted the bottle into his other hand and poured two white pills. The blond knelt down to her level and _____ only turned her back towards him. "I don't need those."

"This isn't for your fever."

_____ was pulled back onto her back. "Then what is it?"

"The YorHa that helped repair my body was able to get a hold of these. It's something to help boost your immunity and strength. You're not quite used to the condition on Earth."

"Ironic."

"Take it before I shove it down your throat myself," Caine warned as he tightens his hand around the capsules. Today, he seemed a lot more irritable than before and that didn't go unnoticed by ____. She raised a brow at his behavior and coughed onto her sleeve before taking the capsules from his hand.

"What's with the bitter attitude?"

There was no response from the male, so she was left with her own theories as to why he was acting this way. He could be upset that he'd been forced into this deal with her, but it was not like she could protect herself. The machines would mutilate her terribly. That reminded her of the two machine leaders she'd encountered and more dread fell upon her. 'Humans were meant to be free... yet I'm holding Caine back for some selfish reason. They may be androids, but conceptually, they've grown to become more human...'