Chapter 19 +

Chapter 19

February- Senior

[Niall’s POV]

I sat in the doctor’s office poking my face and my arm in fascination. I had finally finished my treatment for my burns and I couldn’t believe how nice they looked. I looked, well, I was normal again. I felt amazing. Liam was going to come with me, but we didn’t realize my appointment was the same weekend as one of his away games. I was fine with it, but he seemed distraught. But that’s just Liam for you. He just cared so much it hurt sometime.

“Alright Mr. Horan, how do you feel about your recovery?” My doctor asked. I smiled at him and nodded excitedly. I was speechless.

I hopped off the table and shook his hand as I went to the checkout. All the nurses fawned over my skin and I couldn’t help but blush. They made me feel wonderful. I took a picture with the whole staff because without them, I’d be a mess. They made me feel human again.

I walked out of the office with a smile as the chilly air brushed over my skin. I wasn’t bothered by it though. It felt nice. I hopped in the car and made my way back to Liam’s, or should I say home. I enjoyed staying with him and his parents. They made me feel comfortable and they honestly made me feel safe. I enjoyed that feeling.

I don’t really miss my home, but it’s weird not being around them all the time. I wish I could be around them more, but I know deep down it’s not me that is actually wanting  that; rather it’s the instinct of them being my family. I know I have Greg and Denise, but they’re not close. My mother is in an insane asylum and I haven’t heard about my father.

I sighed as I began to drive into the neighborhood. I knew I needed to be strong, but sometimes it was hard. Everything that’s happened shouldn’t have occurred, but it did. However, I’m still here. I’m still alive. Because of that, I am proud.

I pulled into the driveway and saw that no one was home. It was a typical Saturday then. Mrs. Payne probably left me dinner since her and Mr. Payne both worked all day and Liam wasn’t coming home until tomorrow so I had a lot of time to myself.

I headed up the walkway to the front door until I heard a rustle behind me. I froze in my steps. It’s not the smartest thing to do, but I was scared.

“Please don’t freak out.”

I turned at the sound of the too familiar voice. I wasn’t all that surprised to see my father standing before me. He didn’t look homeless or anything, but rather he looked distraught.

“I won’t,” I said slowly. I was shocked as the words flew effortlessly out of my mouth. What possessed me to say that? I wanted to freak out. I wanted to call Liam and panic, but for some reason I didn’t. Maybe it’s the lack of sleep finally beginning to catch up with me, but I couldn’t freak out as badly as I wanted to.

“Okay. Um, how have you been?” He asked awkwardly.

“Fine.”

“How’s Liam?”

“We’re not talking about Liam.”

“Oh, uh, is it a touch subject or something?”

“No.”

My dad sighed and ran a hand through his thing hair. “Look, Ni, I’m trying here.”

“You’re failing.” I knew I was being cold, but I had no place for this in my life right now. I was doing fine. I was getting better.

“Look, I know you think I was a part of all of this,” he said as he wildly gestured at me, “but I’m not. I didn’t know what your mother was doing. She was manipulating me!”