Chapter 12 +

Chapter 12

July- Junior

[Liam’s POV]

I sat on the couch of Greg’s house, reading the paper, and it was drop dead silent. Greg and Denise had left the moment after the wedding, about three days ago, and Niall and I saw them off. They looked so happy; so in love.

Niall and I, on the other hand, well things were awkward.

It was very obvious as to why things were the way they were, but I keep trying to reassure Niall that it’s okay, but he’s been mortified. He’s been silent and shut off, but what he doesn’t understand is that what he wants, he has to be sure of it.

I sighed as I folded the paper. I threw it gently on the coffee table and placed my head in my hands. I couldn’t really take Niall being upset over this. He was trying, and I had to go off and ultimately make him look like a fool. This was mainly my fault. If I hadn’t rejected Niall, things wouldn’t be so terribly awkward. We could actually be enjoying our vacation.

I heard the bedroom door open and I looked over to see Niall, who had stuck his head out of the room. I slept on the couch for the past three days because Niall didn’t seem all that entertained of sharing a bed at the moment.

Niall looked over in my direction and his eyes widened with fear. I tried not to sigh with exasperation, so I smiled instead.

“Hey there,” I said as happily as I could.

Niall gave me a little wave. His hair was all tousled up and he finally came scuffling out of his room. My smile became more genuine, until he came up to the coffee table. He wouldn’t come closer.

“Um babe?” I prodded, but he didn’t look at me.

“Can you put on a shirt?” His voice was tiny, but it was quiet enough so I heard it. I looked down at my bare torso and then back at the boy in front of me.

“No.” It was as simple as that as I leaned back into the couch.

“But, can you just- please?” Niall asked as he flexed his hands by his side. He still wasn’t looking me in the eye.

“I will if you look me in the eye.”

“Fine.”

I raised my eyebrows a bit at how easily he gave into my request, but I didn’t object. I grabbed the t-shirt that was lying on the floor next to me, because it had gotten hot so I whipped it off. I slipped it on and looked over at Niall, who was still content staring at the ground.

“It’s on,” I said as I stood from the couch. Niall finally looked up at me and his face was a blank slate.

“Thank you.”

I nodded and rounded to go to the kitchen, until I felt Niall’s hand graze my elbow. I looked over my shoulder to see Niall fidgeting with his hands.

“Can we talk?” Niall asked. His voice a little braver, but I could see he was still nervous as heck. I refrained from smiling, because at this point, it might’ve been a little weird. We sat back down on the couch, and I let Niall lead the discussion, because he was the one that wanted to talk.

“Um, I’m sorry,” he started.

“Niall, it’s nothing you have to be-” But Niall shook his head.

“Yes it is. I shouldn’t have tried to do that. It was stupid of me. You don’t want me like that.”

“Niall,” I said as I reached for his hand. “It’s not that at all. I would love to, but we can’t. Not now anyways.”