Chapter 18 +

Chapter 18

January- Senior

[Maura’s POV]

I can’t believe I’m in solitary confinement.

I can’t believe I was found guilty.

I can’t believe that disappointment I call my son did this to me.

It wasn’t dark, but rather a clean crisp white room. I was told I was mentally unstable by the judge and my own lawyer. I didn’t believe so. I was just trying to fix my kid. He’s a mess if I’m going to be frank. I just wanted my son to find his peace.

I sat on the bed, the only real piece of furniture in my room and stared at the wall ahead of me. How white and pure it was. It reminded me of my own soul. I was a Godly woman, rather, I still am. How did I end up here? I was only trying to help. How could they try and hurt me by punishing me for not even being in the wrong.

I got down on my knees and placed my elbows on the bed as I began to pray to our heavenly Father.

“Dear Lord, please forgive those who have done no wrong, and help others to see what they have done-”

I stopped as I heard my cell door being unlocked. I stayed in the position I was in and when the guard came in, he had a disgusted look on his face.

“Mrs. Horan, you have a visitor,” he said. I never really got his name, hell, I didn’t know anyone’s name here. All I knew is that I was here for a minimum of thirty years and my parole was absent of today. I looked up at the guard from my knees, hoping he wasn’t kidding around with me. Who would actually visit me?

“Are you hard of hearing? Jeez,” he complained as he helped me up to my feet. I didn’t really need help, but obviously he wanted to get away from me.

“You can unhand me sir,” I said with the bit of dignity I had left.

“Yeah, yeah, just start walking.” He prodded me with his baton and I have never been so humiliated in my life. I was not an animal that he could just push around as he pleased. I am a person. I deserve to be treated as such.

“You can stop pushing that thing into my back,” I snapped as we made our way down the corridor.

“You can stop telling me what to do.”

“Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?”

“As a matter of fact I do. And my husband you homophobic bitch,” he snarled at me. I felt a cold breeze sweep through the air and I kept my mouth shut. He didn’t seem to be gay. I mean, he was a big burly man. How could he be gay?

“Here,” he snapped as we were in the phone call room. A few other people were there, but they were busy to notice my entrance to stop their conversations with their loved ones.

I sat down at a chair and waited for my visitor to walk in. I didn’t have to walk in before I heard the buzz from the opposite side of the window. I felt myself tense up in anticipation, but when I saw who it was, I glared a bit.

I picked up the phone and placed it to my ear before the man began to scold me.

“Maura, I can’t believe you,” he said. I avoided looking at his face as he talked to me. “I went on the ‘mission trip’ you told me about and apparently there wasn’t one. But luckily I found a group of local youth that needed help so I stayed.”

“That’s great.”

“What possessed you to-”

“I don’t know Bobby!” I said exasperatedly. I couldn’t stand the fact my own husband had come to visit me just to accuse me. I didn’t do anything wrong. I mean, I lied to him, but it was to better our son.