Chapter 10: Midnight Kisses and Wedding Wishes

Start from the beginning

Andrew filled them in on his new apartment in the city and how is job as Thorne Industry's CEO was treating him. He also spoke a great deal about Amelia, his girlfriend.

At 28 he had grown into a fine gentleman, with raven hair and steely blue eyes. His years of physical activity and sport had left him heavily muscled for his tall frame.  However the years he spent manning the helm of the family company had left him cultured and wise, tonight black glasses sat askew on his nose and his coal hair was slicked back messily.

The eldest Thorne had always had a soft spot for family and as he watched his youngest brother watch Ari he realised just how much he loved them all.

"What are you sitting there gawking at Drew?" Ari asked elbowing him lightly.

"I'm thinking you little imp." He laughed. "What would you say to my girlfriend asking you and Asher a favour?"

Ari shot him a questioning look. "You know Ash and I love Amelia, we'd do practically anything for her."

"Well she needs a favour. She wanted to ask you herself but work delayed her."

"Spit it out then." Asher snorted throwing a breadstick  at him.

"Well she says you're the closest she's got to sisters, and she needs maids of honour." He spoke deftly.

There was a pregnant silence and then the table exploded into noise. It was as if someone had lit  a dozen fireworks under everyone.

"Maids of honour!"
"Marriage!"
"Youre getting married!"

"Holy hell relax. I've barely got us in here again after our last debacle." Aiden chortled.

A new aura filled the table, one of joy and happiness. No one could believe that soon there would be a wedding in the family.

As if by chance Ari peeked up at Avery, only to find him staring at her as well. They both looked away awkwardly when they realised.

"When are we to expect the grand affair brother?" Avery asked trying to change the subject.

"November." His eyes smiled and twinkled. "We don't want to wait too long. We've been dating since we were 20."

"I'm so happy for you Drew." Ari grinned hugging him warmly.

"Thank you little sister." He smiled hugging her back.

"Hey what am I?" Asher laughed jumping in on the hug.

"An annoying git...aw I'm just kidding Asher I love you too."

***

Ari lay awake that night in her bed. They had long since returned after a joyous night of celebration. Andrew and Aiden had collapsed in their old rooms and Avery had stayed up playing board games with her until the wee hours.

Soon though the night had grown darker and he too went up. Asher was passed out in her bedroom when Ari went in to change and so Ari snuck into bed, burrowing under the blankets.

But now it was well passed midnight. She stared up at the ceiling, it was familiar to her, she'd spent years staring up at it.

She heard Asher's small snores but she was unable to drift off. Ages passed and she found herself downstairs in the kitchen. Her feet ached from the cuts, she flipped the kettle on and grabbed the medikit from under the sink.

Humming softy she began the familiar process of making coffee. She was half way through when Avery came down.

He had been unable to sleep when he heard the soft noises from below. He crept down and saw her hobbling about, softly humming. Avery couldn't take his eyes off her.

"Why are you up so late?" He questioned startling her.

Ari jumped dropping the spoon she held. Sugar spilt all over her feet and she winced. Immediately  he had swept in and scooped her up setting her lightly on the table.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt? Ari?" There was such concern etched there that it stunned her

She shook her head, "No, it's an old injury you just scared me Avy."

He plucked up her foot and examined it. "These are cuts. They're not even treated properly. Ari how did this happen?"

Gingerly she recounted the event as he placed her foot in his lap and began treating her. He scowled as he pictured his clumsy girl in the situation.

"Youre such a danger to yourself." He laughed bopping her nose lightly and handing her the tea.

She laughed holding her cup tightly. "You love me anyway."

He smiled at her, "I do. Now why did you cut your hair my little bird."

"I needed a change Avy." She muttered.

"You changed alot but I miss your hair."

"You don't like it short?"

"I like it too much, longer was easier for me."

"I'm not sure what you're trying to say Avy."

In that moment all he wanted was to lean down and kiss her. She was right there looking up at him, with her eyes like whiskey and lips like roses. So close he could smell the peach on her skin and taste the spearmint on her breath.

But he couldn't... not yet.

Instead he sighed kissing her cheek and then her hair before leaving her.

Not yet...

Dating Disasters : A Study in Distance On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara