04 | t h e p a r t y

"Wow! You live in the same building as Elliot. That's so funny, you work next to him and live next to him too! What a coincidence, we're also picking him up." I gulp but smile to try and mask how nervous I look. Ollie shoots back a grin in return and walks away.

SATURDAY

Having not been to a social event like this in years, I have absolutely no idea what I should wear now that I'm the adult this time. So I text my darling childhood friend, Mary. Mary has been my friend since before we were out of diapers and was my friend before I became mute. In all honestly she's probably the only person that knows me almost as much as David does, and he doesn't even know me completely.

I decide she's the only person who can help me in this situation mainly because she's an aspiring fashion designer and it would probably make her night if I asked her for help with this.

On a different topic, I've been super anxious about the fact that not only does Elliot literally live right next door to me, but he is also going to Gideon's party. I guess after Ollie's perplexing guilt trip, Elliot finally caved. Let's not forget to mention we'll be sitting in the back of Ollie and Angela's car together for however long.

Yikes.

In the usual Mary style, she barges right into my apartment. I'm quite used to this because she did this even when I lived with Penelope and Joe. She practically lived there on the weekends so I'm not shocked that it's not any different.

"Hey girl!" She squeals as she runs over to hug me.

I will never get used to that noise, ever.

I smile awkwardly. She lets go of me and I walk into my room, beckoning her to follow me. I point to the dress options on my bed and she crosses her arms against her chest and frowns.

"Really? This is all you have?" She questions.

Huh, I thought they were cute.

"What's the problem?"

"Nothing.. They're cute. Definitely your style, but Im not sure they fit the occasion. You said you're going to a company party, right?" I nod.

"More like a party at my boss's house but basically." I explain, hoping that will give her some context on why I picked out the casual dresses that I did.

"Okay, so... Will there be any cute guys there?" I nod again, quickly this time. A Cheshire like grin spreads across her face. I hate it when she does that. It's creepy and I know that she has a plan concocting in her head that I'm not always so sure are the best ideas..

"I know exactly what you're going to wear."

• • •

"I look like I'm going to a red carpet event, Mary. Don't you think this is too much?" Although I'm complaining, I think it's a very beautiful dress.. And I also like messing with her. A look of frustration flashes over her face.

"You're beautiful. Now hurry up and go finish your makeup." She insists. I turn around and I hear her start talking again, something along the lines of "You mind if I eat something?" I figured at some point she would want to scrounge through my fridge.

"Go ahead."

I can't believe she can eat so much food and never put on any weight.

I first apply some foundation, concealer and contour my cheekbones a little bit. I add some mascara and a nude lipstick just to humor myself. It certainly has been a while since I've actually did my makeup like this and looked kind of like I actually tried.