Insurmountable Chapter 12 (Part 2)

CHAPTER 12 (PART 2)

"Hey guys! Sorry I'm late! I had work today." The sound of a door slamming bolted me and Jake awake.

It was late in the evening when Carlie came back from school. Apparently, she had to work a part time job at a local restaurant.

"Did you guys make dinner?" She shouted as she slumped her bag on a small table by the door. "I'm starving! I didn't have enough money on me so I couldn't buy us take-outs."

Jake and I looked at each other with confused looks on our faces. After coming back from Camille's, we started planning for the day-and-a half trip to Robert's hideout/ lab/ workplace. Finally, we just called it quits and decided to improvise. Then we started watching some television and fell asleep on the couch.

"Make dinner?" I rubbed my eyes as I yawned.

"We're supposed to do that?" Jake raised an eyebrow.

Carlie appeared right in front of us with a pout on her face. Her hands were on her hips as she reached for the remote on the coffee table and turned off the television which have probably been on while Jake and I were asleep.

"Seriously, guys?! Really?" She widened her eyes. Her tone of voice was becoming an angry tone. But her cute face wasn't helping me take her seriously. I held back a snort.

"Carlie. Calm down, we could order pizza or something. I still have a little money." Jake stood up and tried to calm her down. Fortunately, she did.

She exhaled. "Nah, that's all right. I guess I could whip something up... There's still some penne pasta in the pantry." She sighed. "Sorry guys... I'm just so pressured at school right now. Curse you Mrs. Finnegan for that essay!" Carlie formed a fist and raised it in the air.

"I could help you cook, I guess..." I volunteered.

The two of them stared at me in shock. My cheeks began to burn since were gawking at me like I was an alien from outer space.

"No, no, no. Carlie, don't trust her it's a trap. She'll destroy something--" Jake whispered but I slapped the back of his head.

That'll get him to shut up.

"Don't listen to the jerk." I said. Carlie began to smile and happily dragged me to the kitchen. I let her. Usually, I don't let anyone touch me. But I've been hanging around these guys longer than I ever been with anyone that it almost feels natural. Honestly, I feel like I'm slowly changing. Hell, I even hugged Jake earlier today.

Well...not really hugged...more like...a friendly way of wrapping my arms around an emotionally unstable person. Emphasis on the friendly.

But before we could even actually reach the kitchen, someone started knocking on the door, really, really loudly.

"Carlie!" Ethan's voice was muffled against the door. Jake must've let him in since his voice became clearer and eventually his face was right in front of us.

"Jake, why did you open the door?!" Carlie demanded.

"What do you mean? It's just Ethan." His voice answered her but he was nowhere in sight.

"Carlie, let's just please settle this." Ethan pleaded.

This was kind of awkward for me for two reasons. One was because I have no idea what they're fighting about. And two, was because I just stood there and no one was acknowledging my presence.

So much for feeling like I belonged with them and all that shit.

I stuck my pinkie finger in my ear as the two shouted at each other.