Part Sixteen: Enjoy It Whilst It Lasts

$ Noah's P.O.V.$

Today is the day. Alexis had told me this morning that she wanted to start college. She told me that she had finished high school and moved out of her parents' house to get a job. She didn't have the money to be able to get herself through to college so she saved as much as she could along the way. She could pay her rent and buy stuff she needed, but she had never managed to save enough to start college. She had mentioned previously that she wanted to do something involved with young children and then further decided that she wanted to be a Paediatrician.

We had looked at various colleges but she had not settled with choosing one specific college she wanted to attend. I had a couple of suggestions for her but she had said she still couldn't decide, even with my help. She had settled for a community college for the first few years and then transfer to a state college to get her degree. It is by far the cheapest option and it means she can get her general education she needs and then focus on her degree.

~ 1 hour later ~

Lexi has gone up to her room to colour and play with her dolls. Earlier, she started to panic about someone coming around and hurting me. However, I knew better than to let someone hurt me to get to Alexis. I had started to make us some lunch about forty-five minutes ago, meaning it should be done within the next few minutes. I quickly go to the stairs, telling Lexi to come down when she is ready for lunch. I get a reply and hear her tiny feet rushing across the hall to the bathroom. I lightly laugh and make my way back to the kitchen to plate up the food.

Once I finish placing the food onto two plates, I put them on the table for Lexi and myself and head back to the kitchen to get a couple knives and forks. I look around the living room, checking if Alexis had come downstairs. I make my way over to the bottom of the stair case.

"Alexis, lunch is ready. Time to come down and eat!"

"Uh oh, I'm coming now daddy!" I suddenly hear her running around her room and quickly spot her walking from her room. She smiles and makes her way down the stairs and to the table. "It looks very nice. Thank you, Daddy." Just as I sit down to eat, I hear a knock at the door. I sigh, hoping they would return later. The knocking, however, persists until I decide to make my way to the door and see what is so important.

"Sir, I have come here to receive Miss Fields for her father as the previous attempt failed." The much taller and visibly stronger man said as he looked through the door at Alexis. This is not the time for them to attempt to take her again. Whatever happened between them must have been very serious for her to run away from him and end up living on her own.

"I told your predecessor that there is no reason for her parents to be informed of her move and her forming a relationship with myself. Therefore, I shall tell you the same. Alexis is happy here with me as I treat her as she deserves. Her parents clearly failed at being able to care for their own daughter, so once you are able to inform me that I am actually incorrect, please leave my property and inform your boss to leave Alexis and myself in peace." As I finish, I begin to close the door only to be stopped by his foot being jammed between the door and its frame.

"I believe you have failed to understand what I am saying, sir. Alexis will be returning to her father. I may not do so today but beware, you two do not have a long future together. Enjoy it while it lasts." With that he removes his foot from the gap and leaves. What does he mean 'you do not have a long future together'? No one shall take my babygirl away from me. She is mine and will forever be mine. I feel Lexi wrap her arms around me.

"Daddy, your food got cold so I've put it in the warmy machine. You need to turn it on though because I can't do that." I smile and nod at her.

"Thank you darling. Let's finish eating."