Business Cards & Handwritten Notes

Ethan's POV:
"Um Ethan? Are you okay? You look like you've just seen a ghost." Stella said.

This can't be her. It just isn't. It's all just a weird coincidence.

"Yeah, I think so."

"Good, I was beginning to worry that you had a stroke or something." She laughed.

"Sorry, I just um got lost in my thoughts for a minute."

"Don't worry, I do it all the time. I mean, the best way to think is to get a little lost sometimes." She laughed.

I laughed, "Well I guess it's a good thing I'm terrible with directions."

She smiled. I knew that smile. That smile was Stella's smile. It was, right? No? Yes? Maybe?

"Well I have to be getting to work, which means that I have to go back home and read over a bunch of other people's articles. But it's been nice meeting you!" She said getting up.

"Fuck." I said under my breath, "I should already be at the office." I laughed as I gathered my stuff.

Stella laughed, "Well bye Ethan."

"Bye Stella."

She walked towards the door, I saw a piece of paper fall out of her pocket.

"Wait Stella! You dropped something!" I called after her, but she had already walked out the door.

I went and picked up the paper. It was her business card.

Stella Blackmann
LA Times' Social Media Editor
323-476-500

I turned the card over, there was a hand written note.

Call me some time :)

Call me sometime? Did she know? Of course not. Right?

My phone was ringing, it was Mark again.

"Hey Mark, sorry I know I'm late, but you'll never believe what just happened."

**

"Wait so let me get this straight, you think you found Stella?" Mark said.

"Yes, but I have no idea if it's actually her or not."

"Did she say the key phrase?" Tyler asked.

"Yes she did."

"So then its her." Mark said.

"I don't know for sure." I added.

"Why don't you just ask her?" Mark asked.

"Yes because it's such a great idea to go up to a stranger and ask, 'Hi, are you the secret agent who saved our asses from getting murdered a few weeks ago? No? Okay, bye.'" I said sarcastically.

"Okay true, but how else will we actually know for sure?" Tyler asked.

"Ethan, I think you need to call her." Mark said.

"I just got her number. It's a little soon." I joked. They both just stared at me.

"Or maybe the sooner the better then. I'll call her at lunch." I chuckled nervously. They continued to stare at me very annoyed.

"Or maybe I'll just do it now." I said reaching for my phone.

I typed in her number and waited as it rang. It rang three times before it finally clicked.

"Hello?" Stella said.

"Hi Stella, it's Ethan."

"Oh hi Ethan."

"Um I was just wondering...."

What did I wanna say? Should I just ask her? I don't want her to think I'm insane. Or maybe she wants me to just ask her. But what if it isn't her?

"Ethan? Are you still there?" She asked.

"Oh yeah sorry, must have cut out. Um I know this is fast, but would you be willing to get coffee with me sometime... again?" I asked her. She was quiet for a minute until I heard her laugh.

"Sure, I'd love that. This time I'll try to not spill your coffee on the ground." She laughed.

"G-great! Does tomorrow afternoon work for you?"

"Yes! I'll see you there around 2?"

"That works for me. Tomorrow at 2. See you then Stella."

"Bye Ethan. I can't wait." She said as she hung up.

I turned back to Tyler and Mark. Tyler had his face in his hands while Mark was laughing his ass off.

"What?"

"Ethan." Tyler groaned.

"What?!" I asked again.

"That's not what you were supposed to do." He groaned again.

"Not supposed to do what exactly?"

"We didn't mean for you to ask her out." Mark laughed.

Well shit.