"It's... different."

Her laugh was like tinkling bells. "That's a good way to describe it. Is Miss Rohan still as crotchety as ever?"

"Yep. I never knew someone could be so picky over silverware. That's a salad fork, not a dessert fork! Honestly gives me a headache."

"Aw, the memories. Trust me, though. She's doing it for your own good. The first few times I went to formal dinners, I was watched like a hawk to see if I knew my stuff."

"So vampires are big on that kind of thing, huh?"

"You think they're exaggerating but they're not. Vampires are really big on custom and have a small margin for error."

"Great," I sighed, recalling all the mistakes I was still making in my classes. I hadn't been lying when I said Madam Johan wanted to talk to me.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much. The professors here got hired because they are good at what they do. You'll do fine in their capable hands as long as you give it your best."

"Thanks." We lapsed into a comfortable silence and I rocked on the balls of my feet, trying to find the right way to word my next question. "So, I assume you're here because your master is a Coalition member?"

"That's right," Sydney nodded. "I couldn't stay at home so he decided it would be best for me to go with y'all tomorrow."

"Why couldn't you stay home?"

"Other than the safety concern?" She remarked. "We can't be separated by too large of a distance or else my mark starts to sting. The longer the distance, the more it hurts."

"I didn't know that," I murmured, in awe of everything the bond could do. "Speaking of the bond, there are a few questions I wanted to ask you. If you don't mind, that is."

"Not a problem. Can't promise I'll answer everything, though."

"Fair enough," I agreed with an appreciative grin. "It's mostly about the relationship a Pet and master have after they leave Rigryce."

Something in Sydney changed, her shoulders stiffening and her eyes darting around as if she were searching for something. As if she was worried someone would overhear. There wasn't anything to be worried about, the classrooms in this wing were dark and empty as classes had ended a few hours ago. The only reason I had been over here in the first place was to grab Kali from the library. She had a bad habit of forgetting to eat when in the zone and had fallen asleep surrounded by books a few times. The librarian couldn't seem to decide if she was amused or annoyed.

"Sorry if I said someth-"

"It's fine," She cut me off. "Do you mind if we talk outside? Some fresh air sounds nice."

I found the suggestion weird but nodded my head in affirmation anyways. If that would make her comfortable enough to talk, I'd go with it.

She didn't waste any time, briskly leading the way downstairs and outside to the courtyard, her longer legs forcing me to jog to keep up. The sky was already darkening, the outside space illuminated only by the faint light coming through the windows. Most of the curtains were drawn, professors retired for the evening, and the classrooms empty and prepared for Monday. We were the only ones there, everyone else getting ready to go to dinner. It's where I had been headed with Kali and Clair and my stomach decided to remind me with a few rumbles that could be mistaken for lion roars. The food served in the cafeteria could rival a five-star restaurant and I was enjoying the experience.

Blushing slightly, I smacked it with my hand as if that would do anything, grateful Sydney was far enough ahead not to hear it. She seemed preoccupied with her thoughts, anyway. Watching her movements, it seemed she was still nervous but the further we moved from the building, the more at ease she became.