5

Despite all his efforts Trina seemed to be unresponsive to his advances and that sparked a tiny hope in my which I would kill every chance I got, I lost my faith in fairytales the day he let go of our dreams. But the part I had been keeping unignited kept on lighting itself to life every time he would look at me with sadness filled eyes. Trina's delayed response to his unconditional efforts to win her heart caused me to hope that maybe just maybe there was a chance for me and him. A chance to fulfill those dreams we dreamed when we were young and that hope was what had prompted me write that letter that night. In a small letter written on a rose scented stationary I pour my heart out to him. I reminded him of our dreams and our promises and hope that maybe just maybe he would remember them. I could still remember that day like a lighthouse's light on a stormy day at sea.

1 year ago

I held my letter in hand and made my way to my locker to get my things ready for the next class. I knew we would meet by the hallway to get to our biology class. I was feeling anxious about giving him the letter but I made up my mind to just accept everything that would happen after this after all what have I to lose? My heart was already broken beyond repair. I saw him walking towards me with a gloomy face about him, he tried to smile but I can see that he was hurt. As he drew nearer I drew a deep breath.

"Hey." I greeted him. "Everything alright?" I asked him as I fidgeted with letter I hand placed inside a red envelop.

"Yeah." He replied disheartened and leaned against the locker beside mine.

"I have something to give you." I said, readying myself to hand him the letter.

"Yeah but before that I have something to say." He said sadly.

"Okay." I replied while trying to assess if everything was alright he was looking depressed. He looked at me tearful eyes and then muttered.

"She said yes." I blinked at his words and watched as a wide grin slowly spread across his face and he started jumping for joy.

"She said Yes V!" He shouted happily. It felt as though the hand holding my letter became limp.

"So aren't you going to congratulate me?" He asked excited I don't know if my emotional mask was on as of the moment because I felt absolutely wrecked.

"Congrats." I told him but I wasn't so sure how my voice sounded, it wouldn't matter anyway because Devon was obviously on cloud nine.

"So you were going to give me something?" He asked. I immediately put on my façade and happiness.

"It's nothing I bought you some movie tickets hoping it would help you with Trina." I lied

"Well let me have it then." He excitedly said holding his hands out to receive what I was supposed to give him like a kid waiting for a Christmas gift.

"You don't need it anymore you got the girl." I told him.

"But you are supposed to give me a congratulatory present." He insisted.

"What present I've spent more on this courting business of yours more than you did." I reminded him. He shut up after I said that but he continued to happily grin. He wrapped his arms around my shoulder as we made our way to our next class. We met Trina on the way, his arms around my shoulders was removed and he hurriedly made his way towards her. In that one swift movement I stepped back a little and reminded myself where I stood now in his life. My role has been accomplished and just like how he had abandoned his old dreams he too had left me behind. I smiled a sad smile and continued to walk alone to our class. Reminding myself to be numb and smile despite the fact that he had shoved me away like I was just a piece of unwanted apparel.