3

2 years ago

I sat down in my usual spot under the oak tree, just like how I had seated under it ever since I was 6. I was reading the latest Nancy Drew novel that my dad had bought me when he went to Arlington. I was near the end of the book when someone pulled me by my shoulders and pulled me close to a tight hug.

"V!" I heard D squeal like a child given a piece of Halloween chocolate.

"What?!" I asked with a hint of irritation as I removed myself from his hug.

"I've found the girl of my dreams!" He shouted happily.

"Who?" I asked nonchalantly as I made a space for him to seat.

"She is in my class." He said happily. I gave him a questioning look.

"The girl of my dreams has long hair, cute almond shaped eyes and a cute nose." He went on.

I had a hunch who the girl of his dreams were. He would always tell me that we would grow old together and have kids that wear shirts with polka dots.

"Let me guess, it's..." I began.

"It's Trina." He confessed happily causing me to put down my book and look up at him.

"Who?" I asked trying to check if I had misheard him.

"You know, Trina Hanley from Ohio? The new girl in class." He said as he took a seat beside me acting all giddy and love sick.

It felt as though my mouth has gone dry from his words. I had always pictured what my life with him would be like, finishing high school, graduating from a college and get married and connect our houses together. It felt as though all the days we spent planning our future had suddenly disappeared into ashes. I felt so naïve and so utterly lost. Wasn't he the one who made up countless plans about us growing old together? Building our lives around each other? Going to the same college up in Arlington, we even argued about what course we would be taking since he wanted our jobs to align with each other. He would be the engineer and I would be the architect, we would build our dream house together connecting our two separate houses in a large Victorian style glass house. He even went as far as picking out names for our future kids! Now it felt as though everything he had ever said to me was child's play, it was as if he built me a house made of diamonds which later turned to glass as soon as the clock struck midnight.

"V. Are you listening?" he asked me with a hint of irritation.

I snapped out of my thoughts and hastily answered.

"What, sorry I wasn't listening."

"You should really stop daydreaming V, other people would think you're weird." He said causing me to stop my hands from inserting the bookmark in the page I was at. Since when had he ever thought that I was weird? My daydream never bothered him before.

"Well me I wouldn't mind since I'm your friend and I'm use to you being like that but Trina would think you're a little weird."

Friend? Correction I'm not just any friend I'm your Best friend! I felt my blood boil with anger.

"I have to go mom said we're going out tonight." I said as I stood up. I brushed the dry leaves off my skirt.

"I don't remember aunt Em making any plans for eating out." He said in confusion.

"It's a spur of the moment dinner out." I replied slinging my bag pack on my shoulder as fast as I could.

"V? Did I say something wrong?" He asked but I merely walked away.

"V?! Are you mad?" he yelled after me but I paid no heed and got inside the house not forgetting to lock the door knowing well enough that he would come into our house comfortably.