36/Blue

Blue

The warm brown of her eyes called to me.

   Evangeline leaned forward, her full lips upturned into a sweet smile. Her eyes were wide and light and just as beautiful as I remembered they were. Gone was the empty light, shocked expression that had crossed her face the moment she had died. Now she was different… prettier… better.

   Her hand reached out to me, beckoning. Behind her was a glow that made me want to travel further there. “Blue, c’mon,” she said, coming closer. She stopped a few feet away from me. “I can’t come further.”

  I frowned, taking another step, but warily. “Where am I goin’?” I asked, trying to look past her.

 “With me.” She winked, taking another step backwards. “Trust me, it’ll be fun.”

   Fun? I took another step closer, wanting to follow her. It felt so good here. Nothing was hurting or burning. I felt free, unburdened. I just wanted to go far, far, far away from what I had left back… where? Where was I now? “Where is it?” I questioned.

   Her smile turned down a little. “Why don’t you come with me and see?”

   It was a nice enough question, but her tone was off. She sounded angry, petulant. I tilted my head to the side. “Evangeline—“

   “Blue.”

   Her voice was sweet and enchanting, playful and musical. I took another step forward. “Where am I?”

   “With me. Where you need to be, Blue.” She stepped towards me this time, touching my hand. “I’ve missed you.” She used her free hand to brush it against my cheek carefully.

  “I-I missed you, too,” I said.

  “Then come with me.”

   It sounded good, but something was holding me back. Something I needed, something I missed. But what was it?

   “BLUE!” This scream was panicked, scared, and it came from Evangeline’s mouth—but it wasn’t Evangeline. “BLUE! NO!”

   And there she was, her dark eyes looking down at me in fear, her sweet smile and full lips, dark brown skin and panicked voice.

    “Lou?” I asked, and then everything started to hurt again.  

Short, but it's gonna be worth it next chapter.