22/Blue

Blue

“What kind of answer is that?” Lou exploded, throwing her hands in the air.

     I smirked at how obviously frustrated she was. There was something so undeniably attractive about her right now in those baby blue pajamas pants and that pink hoodie. With that scowl on her face, she looked like a highly desirable chica. “I want you,” I told her, holding her close to me so she wouldn’t walk again… although, I wouldn’t mind the site. “All of you. Every single inch of you. From here—“ I pressed a kiss on the top of her wild hair—“and down.”

    “Just as  warnin’, if you go further, I’ll slap you again,” she growled, not done with her anger at me.

    “Is that a threat or a promise, mi quierda?” I said, my voice husky and low.

     She glared at me. “A promise.” Her hands clutched at my chest, pushing me back. “Just because you come over here, kissin’ me and givin’ me answer doesn’t mean I’ll forgive you. Plus, I’m not gonna break my rules for you, Blue. I run by a strict code. One I don’t—“

    I pressed my finger to her lips. “Silencias,” I commanded. I needed her to be quiet for a minute. What was it with mujers and talking when they were angry? “You will forgive me.”

    “Oh you think so?” Her hand went to her hip.

     I nodded. “You can’t stay mad at me.”

     She scoffed. “I beg to differ.”

     “Beg all you want, chica, but  you’ll still be wrong.” I waited for her to say something, but she stayed quiet. “You’ll forgive me. And then we’ll make out.”

     Or, we could make out and then she could forgive me. As long as there was making out involved.

     I couldn’t live without Lou. And I damn sure couldn’t live without her. A day had showed me just how messed up I could get without her. I needed her right now before my life turned even worse. Every dark day needed a ray of sunshine. Lou was the sun in my night sky. Here’s to hoping she wouldn’t get hidden behind the clouds and not show up for a while.

    She rolled her eyes. “Boys. I told you, Blue, I have a strict rule about havin’ a boyfriend that knows what my mom does.”

     Si. That damn rule. She was killing me. I just gave her a look, wanting to argue with her about it, but not finding the strength. She had a point, I knew she did. But I couldn’t shake it off. “Por que?” I muttered, clutching her hands. Not trying to pull her in for another kiss like I really wanted to, but just holding her.

   She blinked her eyes, and I realized she was trying not to cry. I instantly regretted telling her that she was a cry baby.

   “Chica, mi quierda, you can cry if it’s upsettin’ you,” I told her, my voice low. I attempted to be comforting, but comfort was not in my bones. Especially when I was raised by guns, guts, fights, drugs, and glory. Not much time for hugs and kisses and laughter. Or crying girls.

   She heaved her shoulders, shaking her head. “No, I should be over. I don’t know why I’m even cryin’,” she said after a few minutes of silence.

   There was something in her past that stopped her from loving me. I’d have to change that. Soon. “Did anybody hurt you? Is that why you won’t love me?” I questioned softly, wanting an answer, but not wanting to bring her to tears again.

   She shook her head. “No… not me.”

   “Tu madre?

   Again, she shook her head. “Give me a second. I don’t like talkin’ about it.” She took a deep breath, looking away from me. “Somebody hurt my sister.”

   I hadn’t yet seen a sister. I had saw her hermano, or, rather, I had saw a picture of him. “Tu tienes una hermana?” I questioned.

   “I had one.” Her voice cracked. “She committed suicide because she was raped. Mama always let us make our own decisions, and my sister wasn’t as conservative as me. A boy thought because of who Mom was—is—Daisy was the same way… so he raped her. And she was pregnant, and, the boy—“ She stopped, shaking her head. “I can’t continue.”

   I drew her in my arms, holding her.  I understood. I couldn’t continue either. Not when it came to Evangeline. And I had personally had a hand in her murder. Even if everybody kept telling me otherwise. “It’s okay. Yo comprendo. I understand, chica.”

   She nodded, trembling in my arms. “Can we start walkin’ now? Because I’m cold.”

   I let her pull away. A grin overtook my face. “I can think of other things to keep us warm.”

   A smile flashed across her face, although she sounded exasperated. “Blue!”

   “I’m jus sayin’, Lou. I’m jus sayin’.”

*

You can get somewhere with Lou. It’ll be a process, but you can get there, I told myself, watching as she stuck her head out and waved at me from her front porch.

    Tio was waiting on me when I entered through the door, arms crossed over his muscular chest. He had been worse than me. When he was pissed, he scared me. Not only that, but he had lost the love of his life over me. He had a reason to beat my ass, even if he didn’t. He was way too settled to now. Even then he was way too settled.

   “You two kiss and make up?” he demanded, glaring at me.

   Not as much as I wanted to.” I grinned, thinking of Lou talking the whole way home, telling me it was because she thought if she talked a lot, I wouldn’t be tempted to kiss her. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that no matter what she did or said, I’d still want to kiss her.

   His glare intensified. “This is no time to be a smart ass. Your probation officer called, Blue. You have to take a piss tomorrow. If it comes out dirty, they’re shippin’ your ass off to prison. You’re eighteen now.”

    As his words settled into the pit of my stomach, my heart stopped for a brief moment. “Mierda,” I muttered out loud, feeling sick.

   He nodded. “Good fuckin’ luck.”

   And then he left. 

Updating this one again tomorrow! Sorry it's short.