34/Blue

Blue

Lou gave me a weak smile for falling straight back into my arms. Her eyelids fluttered, and her lips grew slack

    I glared at Roberto, anger making my fists clench and blood rush through my veins. I held Lou there, watching her chest to make sure she was still breathing. Her breaths were shallow and quick, and they didn’t sound encouraging. “What did you do?” I growled, pulling her tight against my chest.

   He laughed. “I had to watch the girl I loved most die—now so do you.”

   I hadn’t killed Evangeline. She had followed me. I had blamed myself for so long, but I knew it wasn’t my fault. She had the choice to leave—I told her to leave—and she hadn’t. She had continued on, following me and trying to get me to stop. And she had been killed by her brother’s people. Not me. Not my people.

   But his words were more pressing than my mouths.

   Now so do you.

   Lou’s face was losing its sparkle quickly. I swallowed, not wanting to see her die. “What. Did. You. Do?” I snapped, bringing my eyes back up to his with a look so dark it would’ve scared mi padre.

   “I drugged her,” he replied. “She’ll go quickly, painlessly. I’m not that evil.”

   My body shook with tension. Drugged her? With that? Quickly? I shook my head, carrying Lou over to the couch and placing her there. I was going to kill el cabron, if it was the last thing I did. “If she dies, I’ll—“

   “Que? What will you do? I’m listening.” He clasped his hands together and watched me.

   What would I do? Burn him? Freeze him? Torture him? I had no answer at the moment, but I wanted to something. I wanted to make sure he suffered before he died. “She doesn’t deserve this,” I told him instead, still angry. I hoped the cops were on their way with the ambulance.  C’mon, Lou, only a few more minutes.

   Her breath rose and fell slowly.

   “But that’s how life works, Blue.” He glared at me, standing. “The good die young. Like my sister, Evangeline. Remember her?”

    Of course I remembered her. She was beautiful and sweet, and she was the first girl I ever slept with. She had known my deepest secrets. She had given me advice and loved me. Evangeline had been my best friend, the love of my life. She had been so much more to me than a girl…. But now she was gone, just like Lou was about to be if something didn’t happen soon.

    “Claro que se! Of course I remember her,” I snapped. Images of her ran through my mind, and I swore I felt her fingertips brush against my arms like she used to. I could still feel her ghost touch on my skin, warming it up. Even though Lou was the girl I wanted to be with, I couldn’t deny Evangeline’s part in my past.

   She had shaped me into the guy I was to women now.

   He nodded. “Bueno. Because she’s dead, Blue. She’s never coming back. Nunca.”

     It was like a blow to the chest. All over again. I didn’t like to relive the moment that had caused me so many nightmares and sleepless nights. I still remembered when I was afraid to go to close my eyes because of what images my head contained. “Ya se.” I knew this. But it still hurt. After all this time, it still made me sick to my stomach. “But what does Lou have to do with this?”