10/Blue

Blue

Lou didn’t argue as much as I thought she would’ve about sitting with Dylan.

    I saw the emotions flicker through her ojos before she straightened her shoulders and led me there. I knew that if they said something even the slightest bit off, there would be no more sitting with them. But, with the exception of a quick moment of silence, there was nada. Everybody turned back to their conversations except for Dylan, who dumped the girl out of his lap and came sit by us. “Yo! Gringo!” he greeted, high-fiving me. “Gringo’s girlfriend, friend girl, love monkey, snuggle buddy, cuddle partner, sweetheart, best friend, whatever!”

    Lou smiled. “I’m Lou.” She gave him some dap, which he returned.

    “Oh, I know your name, beautiful.” He winked, smiling at her. He looked up at me then, smile easing off his face at my glare. “Tell your body guard to calm down; I’m just having fun, I mean no harm.”

    She rolled her eyes. “He’s been grumpy all day, jus’ ignore’em.” She dipped her fry into some ketchup and swirled it around. “Dylan, right?”

   He nodded, hair flopping all over the place. He reminded me of an eager, hyper perro. “Yes. But you can call Mr. Sexy, Sex Master, The Ruler of All Things Women and Sex, or something of that derivation.”

   She laughed. “I kind of like Mr. Sexy myself.”

    “Mr. Sexy it is, then!” He dropped his voice. “Be warned, the ladies are all after me and tend to get a bit jealous when they think someone else is tryna to feast off their favorite meal.”

    She nodded. “Uh-huh.” She pursed her lips. “You can call me Lou, or Master, or Beautiful, or Master Beautiful Lou From Which All Things Beautiful Sprang, or—“

   “He could just call you Lou,” I interrupted, voice tight. I didn’t like Dylan making her laugh. Not when she had a beautiful laugh that was meant just for me to hear.

   She frowned. “But that’s borin’.”

    “That’s your name.”

    Dylan laughed. “Master Lou, I do believe your snuggle-cuddle-monkey is jealous he doesn’t have a nickname.” Dylan made coo-ing noises at me. “Look at the wittle baby, all jealous and angry and—“

   I grabbed his shirt and yanked him towards my face, holding him tightly. “Dylan? Callate tu boca.” I released him, a tight smile curving the corners of my mouth. “I don’t find you funny.”

   Lou slapped at my hand. “I do!”

   I gave her a look. I understood Dylan was trying to make her feel welcomed, but his antics were unnecessary. She was going to be fine—I was right here. She had me. She didn’t need him.

   Dylan coughed, looking embarrassed. “My bad, gringo. I didn’t know I was overstepping my boundaries.”

   “Now you do.”

   Lou sighed. “Calm your shit, Azul. He was bein’ friendly. Apologize,” she demanded. I didn’t want to. Apologize? To a gringo? I rarely ever apologized to anybody.

   Actually, I could count on uno mano how many times I had apologized in my life. “For what?”

    “Because I told you to.” She crossed her arms and glared at me, clearly upset.

    I sighed, giving in to her. “Lo siento, Dylan. I overreacted.”

    His smirk was in full force. “Oh, it’s okay. I understand, gringo. If someone was messing with my girl, I’d be all over his ass, too. You were just protecting what was yours.” He went back to his original seat.

   Protecting what was mines? I didn’t quite claim Lou as mines. I had just gained her trust and didn’t want to ruin. Lou didn’t seem like the type to be claimed anyway. I shook my head, irritated with the day’s events. I was grumpy. I hadn’t slept at all last night.

   It was all Lou’s fault, too. She had fallen asleep on the sofa with me on top of her waist, giving her a massage. Her face, all vulnerable and precious while she slept had stirred up some feelings in me. And those damn shorts she wore, too. I felt like a twelve year old boy at Hooters. I had tossed and turned all night, unable to sleep without dreaming about her.

    Meanwhile, she had slept comfortably and had come over this morning, bright-eyed with doughnuts for me. Doughnuts I had gladly wolfed down since Tio only made breakfast for her.

   “That was rude, Blue,” she fussed. “He was tryna be nice to me.”

    I understood that, I really did. It was just the way he did it that unsettled me. It was almost as if he were flirting with her. And since she had problems with guys thinking of her for sexual reasons, I wanted Dylan to understand that if he touched her, I would cut his head off. “He didn’t need to be that nice.”

   “Are you jealous?”

   No. “Si.”

   A little smile snaked across her face. “Cute.” She patted the side of my face, grinning cutely at me. “Don’t be. I like you the best.”

  A smile crossed my face, erasing all grumpiness. I could fight Dylan and everybody else that came my way—but not Lou. She was my damn weakness. 

   A girl captured Lou’s attention then, asking her about their routine for cheer. As they argued about whether the herky came “before the split” or “after the split”, I relaxed a bit. I leaned back in the chair, watching and surveying. She seemed a bit happier, more relaxed, and a bit more confident. I caught Dylan’s eye. He smiled at me, and his eyes seemed to speak to me.

    Calm down; she’s a big girl, she can handle herself.

 A/N: Sorry it's short, guys. I have some papers to do and all that jazz. Senior year is driving me crazy!