14/Blue

Blue

Lou laughed, her eyes shining at me as we pulled up to la casa de Tio. I saw a shiny black Escalade sitting on 24’s resting in the driveway. Tio was gone.

    “Mierda,” I swore, recognizing the truck immediately. I was supposed to be safe here. It had only been a few short weeks. They weren’t supposed to find me this fast. But I  should’ve known better. Rodriguez had a way of finding out everything he wasn’t supposed to.

    “Oo! Who’s here?” Lou asked, all bubbly innocence.

    This was why I couldn’t have her as mi novia. Any chica from my past would’ve known immediately who it was. Without a word, they would’ve disappeared, made themselves scarce. But Lou didn’t know better. I needed her gone, though, before Rodriguez could spot her. I didn’t need anybody to know my weaknesses. Especially not him. I needed mis amigos closer, in this case anyway, than my enemies.

   I cut the car off, masking my face into the hard look I had perfected years ago. Memories came flooding back, but I pushed them away momentarily. “Go home, Lou,” I told her hardly. I would have a heavy price to pay later for hurting her feelings. But this needed to be done. I was hoping Rodriguez hadn’t heard us pull up. But nada escaped him.

   Her smile disappeared. Her face turned into one of pure confusion. “Why? Blue, what’s goin—“

   “Go,” I growled, giving her a dark look. I unlocked the doors. “Hurry up.”

   She frowned. “But—“

    I gave her one of those ‘don’t fuck with me’ looks that were basically my namesake back in Florida. “Chica, eschuas. Listen to me. Go home. Don’t come back until I call.”

   She looked hurt. “Fine,” she said, crossing her arms and opening the door.

   I pinched the bridge of my nose. Her feelings was hurt. Oh well. It was una problema I’d have to fix later. Right now, I had to figure out what Rodriguez wanted.

   The door opened just as I saw Lou get out. I knew she heard the door open because she looked over, but then quickly jerked her head back. I didn’t blame her one damn bit.

    Rodriguez, the head of the gang I used to run, was taller than me, which put him damn near a foot taller than her. Except where I was thin muscles, his bulk was weight-room thick. He had tattoos that crawled from the tips of his fingers all the way to his neck. Four tear drops rested across his cheek. The look he wore was the only one that rivaled mines. His very essence screamed danger, and I wanted to teleport Lou as far away from him as possible.

    He smiled, but it was evil. “Hola, perra,” he greeted Lou, waving from the porch like he belonged there. “Como te llamas?”

    She didn’t bother to look up at him, instead trying to go next door.

     I didn’t know what was worse—her not speaking to him, or her speaking to him. Both were equally unattractive options.

    “Puta! I’m speakin’ to you!” Rodriguez growled, taking a step towards the street. I tensed, opening my door. I could get to Lou first. If he made any kind of move to touch her, I’d kill him without hesitating.

    I could see her hands shaking. “Lou,” I started, but realized she wanted to handle this one herself.

    Lou paused, turning slowly to face him, fists balled. “If you want a response, you better learn to greet me by somethin’ respectful. I don’t answer to ‘bitch’ and ‘whore.’” The look on her face could freeze hell over.