19

2 days later
January 25
6:03 am

A freezing, Saturday morning. The sun barely peeking up from the horizon, already painting a vivid skyline of pink, orange, and yellow.

Shawn slept peacefully until the loud sound of the mail truck rang through his driveway. Slowly opening his eyes, he looked over to his window, a small layer of frost built onto it.

Walking down the silent steps of his house, he walked out the front door to the mailbox, opening it with a loud creak. Pulling out the mail, he flipped through it until he saw the bright white envelope instantly recognizing the pink handwriting.

He piled the rest of the mail atop the kitchen counter, hugging the letter to his chest as he quietly raced back up to his room, careful not to wake Aaliyah or his parents.

Placing the letter carefully on his bed, he paced back and forth in his room, biting his fingernails in nervousness while reading the middle of the envelope where it was addressed to:

Shawn Mendes
1234 Youthought Street
New York, New York

Where it was addressed from:

Erin Conrad
5678 Itseverdaybro Lane
New york, New York

Shawn slowly picks up the delicate letter, taking it out of the envelope and sitting himself on his bed, the sun just now beginning to rise. He folds it open, finally reading.

Shawn was never much of crier, but here he sat with tears falling onto the damp letter, regret overcoming his every emotion. Quickly grabbing his car keys, he drives to Erin's apartment, praying that the receptionist will be nice enough to give her room number to him since she didn't write it on the letter.

"Please? I really need to talk to her, she sent me this letter, isn't this enough proof that I know her? Please?" Shawn begs the receptionist at Erin's apartment complex.

The receptionist stays quiet for a while before letting out a sigh in defeat, annoyed with Shawn. "Ok, I'll tell you her room number but it stays between us and only us."

Shawn nods over excitedly as the receptionist types Erin's information, looking for her room number in the system. A flash of confusion spreads across her face as she turns to Shawn, looking at the results that popped up on the computer screen.

"It looks like your friend Erin had moved out, coincidentally- this morning." The middle aged receptionist concluded, Shawn feeling his heart drop for the millionth time.

"Do you know where to??" He pleads, the receptionists shaking.

"That, I have no access to."

"Fuck." Shawn mumbles under his breath as he turns to walk out of the luxurious complex, heading towards the huge glass doors before bumping into someone.

"Sorr- Shawn?" Erin says, her heart stopping momentarily at seeing his face after what felt like so long.

"Erin." Shawn says as both of them stare at each other, a loss for words.

"What are you doing here?" She says, shocked by his appearance.

"I came looking for you." He replies, digging through his pockets to pull out the handwritten letter from Erin herself. She's surprised at the fact he had kept it.

"What are you doing here? The receptionist just told me you moved out." Shawn says, his enthusiasm off the charts after finally seeing Erin again.

Erin sighs. "I am. I'm here to pick up the last of my things."

Shawn's growing smile drops once again as he follows Erin into the elevator up to her now old, apartment.

"Where are you going?" He asks, helping her grab the last of her packed boxes.

Once the both of them are back in the lobby, they walk out to Erin's car where he places the two cardboard boxes in the back seat still waiting on a reply from her.

She slams the door shut, the both of them standing in the frigid air as she collects her thoughts together.

"I'm going away for a while, Shawn. I can't live here anymore. I'm planning on finishing school in Ontario, I've already received an acceptance transfer letter. I need a new start and that's what I'll get there. I already have leased a house and half of my stuff is already there. This is my last day in the city."

Shawn hears nothing after she finishes talking. Only the eerie silence between the two. He lets out a breath he didn't know he was holding in as it freezes in mid air.

"Shawn, im so-" Erin says as Shawn wraps his arms around her, embracing her into a tight hug. He doesn't want to let go but he knows he'll have to in a couple of minutes.

"Shh. Don't say anything, let's just relax." He soothes, rubbing Erin's back as tears form in her eyes, desperately blinking them back.

"I'll never forget you, ever." Shawn mumbles into her hair, her head tucked into his chest.

"You have too. You'll find someone better, I promise. I'm sorry I couldn't be that someone. I wish with all my heart I was." Erin cries, Shawn biting his lip.

"I won't. You'll always be with me. No matter how long you stay in Ontario, I'll be here- waiting. You were always the one and I was too fucking blind to see it and now it's too late. You're leaving." Shawn says, trying to act brave.

"Bye Shawn." Erin says as they pull away from each other, her eyes already reddened from crying as he pushes back his tears.

Once she's in her car, a light drizzle begins to fall from the sky, clouds blocking the sun. Erin waves from her window, Shawn waving back as they give each other the small smile they gave when they first met, a moment he'll never forget.

And just like that, she's gone.