17

December 23
8:00 am

"Hey." Cole marked as Erin walked happily into the diner, greeting Cole back with a playful smile.

"Does your head hurt just as much as mine?" Cole asks, rubbing his temples as Erin places her apron on shaking her head.

"I don't drink, remember?"

Cole nods. "Oh yeah, I forgot- miss "can I have a diet coke please?""

Erin chuckles at his imitation of her. "Anyways, I need you to do me a huge favor that would literally fulfill my life's destiny." Erin starts, adding a bit of exaggeration, intriguing Cole as he leaned across the table.

"Go on."

"Ok well, last night Shawn and I had this talk outside of Kian's house and in his backyard by the pool. One thing led to another and he told me he liked me and that he wanted to be with me but I told him that i couldn't because I was in a relationship with you. So I lied to him. And now your my fake boyfriend?"

Coles eyes grow wide before he lets out a small laugh. "Why did you lie to him though?"

Erin sighs, propping up her elbows on the table. "I don't know, I guess a part of me wanted to see him in sorrow, like I killed him emotionally; just like he did with me. I know, it sounds crazy, but I don't regret it. He deserved it."

Cole claps pretending Erin had just given an eye opening speech.

"So what's the favor?" Cole asks in-oblivious to everything Erin had just said.

"I need you to pretend to be my boyfriend. I have a feeling Shawn's gonna wanna see proof since that's the kind of person he is. He'll probably stop by tonight or whatnot."

Cole shrugs. "Why not? I need a little entertainment in my life anyways and this will definitely be entertaining, us acting like a couple and all."

"Oh shit, here he comes." Cole says tapping Erin's shoulder as he held a tight grip onto the food packed tray, making eye contact with a smirking Shawn as he walked in.

Erin walked deliberately past him, handing the tray over to the customer who ordered the food before walking back into the kitchen, only to be pulled back a strong grip.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Shawn whispers into Erin's ear, making her practically melt. His hot breath trailed down her neck, him knowing his affect on her still had an existence. While he didn't believe the dating story, a part of him worried if she was actually telling the truth.

"Right there." She says confidently, giving Cole a small wink as he smirked towards her, striding over to where she stood by Shawn.

Cole wraps an arm smoothly around Erin making her blush as she obliged to him. Cole and Shawn were both 6' in stature so he towered over her, both of them intensively smiling as Shawn sat in a booth, his eyes deceiving him.

"Hey babe. Oh hey Shawn, was it?" Cole says earning a scoff from Shawn and a grin from Erin who was blushing still.

"Yeah. Wow, so when did this happen?" Shawn asks, ready to interrogate them with questions.

"We don't need to answer th-" Erin starts before Cole cuts her off. "3 months ago? Yeah, 3 months ago." Cole says reassuring himself.

Shawn nods. "How'd you guys meet again?"

"Here. At work. We also go to the same university, don't you go to NYU as well?" Cole fires back, Shawn nodding.

"Well, I'm heading back into the kitchen. Nice talking to you Shawn." Cole gives a small wave before placing his lips gently onto Erin's, earning a surprised look from not only Erin, but Shawn.

That was all it took for Shawn's heart to break and for him to realize that it should've been him, holding onto Erin and passionately loving her. And although he had many chances, he dodged every single one of them until he ran out.

Getting up from his booth, not even ordering anything, he walks out of the quiet diner with his crushed heart in his hands.