8 - Hunger

I woke up restless and hungry. Sitting in bed, I wondered if someone will bring me food or will the punishment continue. When several maids unexpectedly entered my room, I was startled. Each maid held something in their hands – a tray of water and towel, a cup of hot tea, shoes, clothing, and even accessories. I had wondered if they came into the wrong room until one of the maids told me that they're there to serve me.

After cleaning up and changing into the silk jade green dress, I sat at the vanity while the maids combed and styled my hair in braids. It felt strange but I kept silence. When they were done, I was told that the Prince is waiting at Main Hall for the morning meal.

When I entered the dining hall, everyone was already sitting at the table. Again I saw the same group of 4 beautiful women sitting around the Prince. Not wanting to anger him for my delay, I sat down in the available seat across from him. I kept my eyes on the table while the servant brought in the dishes. While the women all fawning over the Prince, putting food in his bowl, I kept my eyes on his hand waiting for him pick up the chopstick. For a long time, his hand did not lift from the table. Then the women asked if the food wasn't to his liking, the Prince didn't respond.

When it was clear that the Prince wasn't going to eat, one of the women ordered the servants to clear the table. Additional orders were made for the cook to be punished for displeasing the Prince. All a while, I held onto my stomach that hurting from the emptiness.

That morning, I returned to my living quarter without food. The day passed slowly, and again, no meals were brought. For me, the worst type of punishment had always been denying me food.