34 - Duke Haijin

Duke Haijin – Prince Jian of Wu Xi, at the young age of twenty-three, stood tall, strong, and confident at the head of the court. Dressed in silk gold and silver robe with his long jet black hair tied up in a simple knot, Duke Haijin was the youngest in court, but at the same time, the most powerful. He stood first in line to the right side of the throne – a position equal to the Crown Prince.

At the moment, Duke Haijin was bored. Standing there, he half listened to the officials giving their reports to the young Emperor who was only two years older than the Duke. It was well known that the Duke and the Emperor were friends since childhood. The reason the Emperor had his throne today was due to Duke Haijin's influence and connection with the Great Emperor of Wu Xi.

"Duke Haijin" The emperor spoke with a faint smile. "The great emperor of Wu Xi birthday is approaching; I assumed you will head out soon for the occasion"

"Yes" The Duke cupped his fist toward the Emperor. "I will head out in two weeks"

Like always, several officials were scowling because of the young Duke attitude toward their Emperor. While everyone bowed low, the Duke never lowered his head. Even while everyone spoke in a modest tone, the Duke voice held arrogance. Some were dissatisfied while others were envious. No one dared to make comments. Meanwhile, the Emperor doesn't seem bothered by the Duke.

"I see" The emperor nodded. "I have prepared gifts for Emperor Huizhong. I asked that you send my regards to the great emperor when you see him"

"Of course your majesty" The Duke answered with his usual tall posture.

Then the guards came in with ten large golden chests. Every official was amazed by the sight of gold bars. They knew that giving gifts to the great Emperor of Wu Xi is no small matter, but their emperor gifts was truly too much. On the other hand, the Duke frowned at the golden chests. He didn't even blink at the sight of the gold. Seeing the Duke's expression, everyone wondered bitterly if he thought the amount wasn't enough.

"You look trouble Duke Haijin" The emperor voice held amusement, as if he understood the Duke's thinking.

"Your majesty" The Duke didn't bother to hide his scowl as he turned to the Emperor. "I prefer to travel light to avoid troubles along the road. Especially since I have my Wang Fei with me, I do not want to lug troublesome things with me"

Everyone almost fell to their faces. Troublesome things? Ten cases of gold bars are troublesome? Wang Fei? Duke Haijin is returning to Wu Xi with his Wang Fei?