I know things that others don't, and that wasn't necessarily a good thing. I used to strive to knowledge in my past life, always wanting to learn more. Now that I possess this knowledge that no one else knows, the responsibility and the guilt that come along with it just might not be worth it.

But it would be too late to turn back now. Not when I know I can change the world for the better.

"Because I know that ninja can make a difference."

My eyes gradually trailed its way up to Yamada's guarded ones, watching as his mouth twitched minutely.

"That's good enough for me." He responded. The tall man looked at my legs and arms.

"Take your weights off." Yamada said.

I quickly untied the weights that were attached to my ankles and arms and dropped them to the ground.

"5 kilograms." He noted while staring at the black weights. "Fairly impressive."

"Speed is kind of all I've got right now." I answered honestly.

The instructor didn't reply but looked at the field. "Run around the field with full speed for four hours."

"Four hours?" I asked incredulously. Usually, jogging for two hours would be tiring but still achievable in my five years old body, but asking me to sprint for four hours was just plain impossible.

"Go." Yamada said with finality.

I shot off, relishing the air that whipped past me harshly. I think I could understand why many people wish to master their speed. Not only does it sometimes give you the upper hand against your opponent, the feeling of freedom that courses through you is one of a kind. The adrenaline that pumps through your body like a rough, coursing river, and the sound of your heart pounding loudly in your ears.

I wasn't perfect, but at times like these, I could pretend that I am.

Unfortunately, this feeling didn't last for long. Within the first half an hour, my knees gave out on me and I fell flat on my face, stones painfully digging me through my thin shirt. I tilted my head to the side to gulp down the oxygen through my mouth, desperately drawing short, shallow breaths.

A shadow came into my view and blocked the setting sun. I tiredly glanced at Yamada.

"Stand up." He ordered.

"I can't." I uttered between my breaths.

"Stand. Up." The man raised his voice.

I used my right hand to push against the ground, shaking with tension as I forced myself to stand on my wobbly knees.

"Now run."

"I'm exhausted." I said quietly, trying to conserve as much energy as possible.

"I said run." His eyes pierced into mine.       

I had no choice but to keep on running. My feet were touching the ground with  more force than necessary, and my neck was drenched with sweat.

Less than a minute into it, I fell onto my knees once more.

"Stand up." Yamada's tall figure loomed over me.

"No." I answered defiantly.

"Is that the attitude of a person who wants to be a ninja? Are you going to stay on your knees and watch as your comrades die one by one?" Yamada looked at me harshly. "Watch as they slowly succumb to death just because you can't be bothered to stand up?"

"Are you?" He asked me once more, stressing those words.

Despite the soaring pain that shot up my knees and the aching pain in my legs, I stood up. "No, I'm not."