Chapter 15

I woke up in the middle of a night to a soft humming in my stomach.

It was a weird but an oddly calming sensation that I had never felt before. I curiously placed my right hand on my stomach, feeling th-

Chakra.

I froze, my eyes widening in realization. So that was chakra. I quickly recalled the first training session with Shisui where I had said I felt chakra. And boy was I wrong.

That stupid me didn't feel chakra, I only knew that it existed. But now? I'm feeling chakra. I was completely mistaken. Chakra exists in everyone, even in myself in the past life.

The civilians here have chakra too, but what differentiates them from shinobi was the ability to feel chakra and the ability to mold and utilize it.

The soft buzzing was concentrated in my stomach but seemed to spread around my body and settling in small balls of energy near the tips of my fingers and my feet.

How interesting.

I closed my eyes and concentrated into the chakra center. Would I be able to mould chakra if I focused hard enough? I frowned, trying to force the chakra outside the tenketsu. From what I've read, chakra is released from the chakra pressure points called tenketsu.

What the book didn't say was how difficult it would be.

There was nothing. Nothing. No crazy chakra flying out of my hand and no fire jutsu exploding from my mouth.

The soft buzzing slowly subsided almost into nothingness, humming ever so quietly.

------------------------

"That was physical energy." Shisui said the next day, ducking under the dango shop's fabric banner and I quickly followed.

I had just been discharged from the hospital this morning, with the approval from the Hokage. Julie had disappeared back into my mind, and like usual, I couldn't contact her.

"For someone who reads a lot," he continued dryly, "I'm surprised you don't know what it is."

"I do know what it is," I protested weakly. I simply generalized physical energy as chakra. That, and it... slipped my mind.

"Smartass," the teenager muttered, taking a seat at the back of the dango shop.

"Chakra is divided into two components: physical and spiritual energy," I recited from the book. "Physical energy is the energy taken from the body and its cells while spiritual energy is from the mental power."

Shisui nodded. "Physi-" He abruptly paused.

"Obaa-san! Two plates of mitarashi dango, 1 cup of green tea and 1 cup of water!" He raised his voice across the shop to the waitress and I was secretly impressed he remembered I didn't drink tea.

"I'm not a grandma!" She yelled back, a vein popping on her wrinkled forehead.

"Sure, sure" the boy said good-naturedly with an amused smile. The waitress simply muttered a few words before disappearing into the kitchen.

"Where was I?" Shisui asked, leaning back into his seat.

"You were at 'Physi-'," I replied flatly.

Shisui rolled his eyes. "Right. Most of the people are born with average chakra reserves, with the exception of many clan kids with powerful shinobi parents. Physical energy can be increased with practice. Run around, jump, train, yada yada. Do whatever I'm making you do."