Chapter 21

What did I ever do to deserve to be lied to? Is this karma? Is this because I used to not appreciate people around me? That girl was the old me. I'm a changed woman. I learned to love. I learned to put my walls down, and allow others to get to know the real me. Connor taught me to cherish people who values me...yet he's the one who broke my trust.

"Find out everything you can about Connor Dawson, and his family."

Mr. Salvador nodded. I told him everything I know about Connor such as how his parents died from a crash and his brother Alexander. I also mentioned Anna and Mikael, the ones who took care of him when his parents died. Our meeting only revolved around Connor and his connections with my family. He left after our brief meeting.

"How are you doing?" asked Sean. He's been at the hotel ever since this morning. I didn't ask him to come, but he insisted. He wanted to make sure that I am doing fine.

I sighed. "What do you think?"

Sean sat across from me with his eyes fixed on my direction. He took a deep breath. "Horrible, I'm guessing."

I raised my brows. "Worse."

"Huh. I'm sorry." He smiled tenderly. "You know what? Try looking at the bright side. Maybe he didn't lie. Maybe he just didn't want to say anything because he wanted to protect you from all of these. I mean, people sees his sincerity. So maybe, just maybe, he didn't want to hurt you."

I rolled my eyes. "Wherever you choose to look at it, Connor lied. He was the only one that is keeping my world from turning into a pitch-black. He brought light to my world. He was my light... Now, he completely filled my world with darkness. There are no bright sides. Everything's dark." I sighed. All I could think of is Connor's betrayal. "God. I can't believe I fell inlove with a false-hearted person. I'm such a fool. My parents, and now Connor? I wouldn't be suprised if you're next."

Sean stood up without removing his locked eyes on me. There was no sign of relief, or serenity. He furrowed his eyebrows a little, while gently shaking his head. He was offended by what I have said. It was too late when I realized. I wanted to apologize, and take it back but instead I kept my mouth shut. "I know it sucks that people ends up hurting you, but you can't take it out on me, or to the people who stays loyal to you. I've been with you all the time. I've been there to comfort you and make sure you're alright. It's not the end of the world, Zoe. Your world is not all black. You have me. You have Jace, and even Ava. There are other people who cares about you. I know even a small amount of light, we still bring a twinkle to your world. At least that's what we think." Sean crouched down to grab his phone on the table. He looked at me for the last time before facing his back to me.

Before I could even form the words I'm sorry Sean shut the door, and left.