Chapter 16

"Give me your hand," offered Connor. I placed my hand above his. Both of us went to the sun deck. Earlier this day, I asked Olivia to spare me the yacht today. I wanted to spend the day with Connor alone, just the two of us and away from everybody.

"Thanks." I got into the spa pool, while Connor laid down on the large cushioned sun pad. I placed my drink on the tile edge of the spa pool. "I'm glad you agreed to come with me." I leaned back.

Connor came closer, and planted a kiss on my cheek. "Anything for you." He laid back down on the sun pad with his stomach flat. From there, we began talking. I focused on him only as he talks. I ignored the view, and enjoyed his presence, instead.

"I have something to tell you." I cleared my throat before continuing. He sincerely looked at me, waiting for me to blurt out. I faced him. "I've been keeping stuff from you lately. I know I should have told you from the beginning, but I wanted to figure it out myself."

His brows furrowed. "What are you talking about?" He sat down, facing me. Eyes directly to mine, and fixed.

I cleared my throat again. "I've been digging around about Chloe's death." I paused. Connor focused on me. "I met one of her friends, Emily. Actually, Sean helped me find her. He was the one who found her. It was just few days ago when we met... I know the truth now." I paused again, and allowed myself to sink everything in.

"What truth?" he asked. There was a brooding expression in his eyes.

I took a deep breath. "My sister died from an accident. She didn't die because she was sick. My parents lied to me about everything. I feel betrayed, and loss." I stayed quiet for a while.

Connor held my hand to comfort me. I got up from the spa pool, and sat down on the edge. He reached for the towel beside him, and wrapped it around me. "I'm very sorry." He pulled me close, giving me a tight hug.

"I feel helpless. I should have tried harder. I should have fought harder for her. I should have looked for a way to see my sister, but I didn't. And now, it's too late and there's nothing I can do to protect her. I wasn't there for her. She died... and I wasn't there."

"None of it is your fault," he says. Connor continued comforting me.

I calmed myself down, and continued. "She was happy, though. She had a good life. She enjoyed her life... And that makes me happy. I'm happy because I know she was happy." I managed to smile at Connor. He smiled back. It wasn't his typical smile. It wasn't the brightest nor the biggest, but he still smiled. "You know, there was a guy. Emily said she was dating a guy. His name is Alexander. He was one of the reason why she was happy. Alexander made my sister happy." I paused again. "Unfortunately, he was on the car accident too. Emily said he survived the accident, but he died after. I wanted to meet him, and thank him for making my sister happy, but he's gone now. All I can do is appreciate the little knowledge I have of him with my sister. I wish I had the chance to see them together. I would have loved to meet Chloe's boyfriend. I would thank him for loving my sister."

"I'm sure he wanted to meet you too."

I smiled. "I'm sorry again for not telling you. I wanted you with me, but I did not want to burden you with any of this."

Connor kissed my head. I formed a smile. "It's okay. I understand." This time he was quiet.

I stood up. "Anyway... Do you want another drink?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "I'm fine. Thanks."

I walked to the bar, and poured myself another drink. Connor followed. He put his hands around me from behind. "I want you to know that you can trust me with anything. I'm here when you need me."

Hearing those words brought me guilt. I did not tell him everything. I trust Connor. I do, but it takes a while to build trust. I wanted to fully trust him, but trust is a big word. I cannot fully trust anyone, especially when I trusted my parents who betrayed my trust. I turned around to face him. I formed a smile. "I know." I put both of my hands around his shoulder. "You make me happy, and I wouldn't trade you for anyone else... Other than my sister, of course." I teased.

Connor laughed.

"But really... You... You make me the happiest girl when I'm with you. You make everything disappear like nothing else matters but us. So why would I replace you for someone else?"

He smiled widely. He looked directly to my eyes. His eyes were the colour of a wet sand, where the waves had crashed. Connor leaned closer, until our lips locked. It was languid, and passionate. Every move was gentle, and meaningful. From that moment, I knew I would never forget the taste of his kiss, the fresh scent coming from his mouth, and the chills he gives me when his lips touches mine.