Chapter 13

"Zoe?" I heard knocks repeatedly. "You haven't been out of your room. Jace said you didn't eat breakfast. Let's have lunch?" Sean continued knocking on the door. "Zoe?"

I opened the door without caring what I look. I stayed in bed since last night, and I did not bother to fix myself then. Sean stood speechless when he sees me. He dropped the box he was holding, and held me to his arms.

"I'm not hungry."

Sean removed his hands around me. "You need to eat. Did you even sleep? Zoe, whatever happened yesterday, you cannot jeopardize your health. Cry all you want, but you need to take care of yourself."

I stayed quiet. "Is that Chloe's?"

Sean turned around where he placed the box he was holding. "Yes. I saw Emily in the lobby, but she was in a rush." He picked up the box from the floor, and went inside my suite. "You don't have to go through her stuff right now."

I closed the door behind him. "Thanks."

"I'll call for room service."

"No. I don't have any appetite."

"I didn't ask for your permission. You're having lunch here in your room if you don't want to go downstairs. Jace is starting to worry about you. I didn't know what to say when he asked me what's going on. I know you're going through a hard time but you need to get it together if you want to get some answers." He sat down on the couch in the living room, and started dialing for room service.

I walked to the washroom, and washed my face. As I was staring into the mirror, all I could think of is Chloe. I remember the time we used to stay in the washroom for more than an hour to do our makeup. She taught me to do makeup. It became our bond.

I stayed in the washroom longer, until Sean started knocking on the door. "Are you okay?" asked Sean, while still knocking.

I opened the door. "I'm fine."

Chloe's box was above the table in the living room. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I wanted to go through it, and search through it. Maybe I would find something that will make me understand the situation better. I knelt down on the carpet by the table.

"Why don't you eat first before you go through her things?" commented Sean.

"I'm okay, Sean."

"Okay. Do you want me to leave you alone?"

"No. It's fine."

I removed the cover of the box. There are picture frames, notebooks, books, a hoodie and few other things. The picture frame consist of our picture from her high school graduation. I removed the hoodie from the box, and laid it on the couch behind me. Under the hoodie, something caught my eye. It was a pocket-size picture of her and a guy on the beach. It must be Alexander. The guy had his arm around Chloe, while she was looking at him with a huge smile on her face.

"What is it?" asked Sean.

I turned my attention to him. "Emily said Chloe dated a guy named Alexander. This must be him. Have you seen him before?" I asked, while showing him the photo.

Sean took the photo from my hands. "No. I don't think I have."

Sean returned the photo. I stared at it. "She seems very happy. Emily was right. My sister was happy."

"You and your sister have the same smile," he started saying. "I haven't seen that kind of smile in you for so long."

I ignored what he said. "I need to know everything before I confront my parents. I want to know what happened to Alexander, and who he is. I wanna know about their relationship. I want to know what happened to my sister. I want to see the person behind the wheel that crashed their car... And the only way to know the truth is if I hire a private investigator. No one seems to know anything other that my parents. If I talk to them, they will just lie to my face. I need facts."

"Are you sure about this, Zoe?"

"Yes."

"If that's what you want then we will hire a private investigator."

"Thank you."

We heard a knock. "That must be the room service," says Sean.

I eventually returned all the things in the box. "Could you get that?" I asked.

Sean walked up to the door, while I moved the box in my room. Sean opened the door a little bit. There was silence for a while. "Connor, right?" I heard him say.

"Yes," answered Connor.

I stayed inside the bedroom by its door, hiding. I did not want Connor to see me. I wouldn't know what to say to him yet.

"Hey. What's up?" asked Sean.

"I'm looking for Zoe. Is she there?" asked Connor.

Sean turned his head at me. I shook my head. He knew then what to say to Connor. "She is... She's inside her bedroom right now talking to someone on the phone. I think it's business matters."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. She's kinda busy right now. I'll tell her you came by. Sorry, man."

As I continue listening to their conversation, my heart aches for Connor. I feel bad for lying to him. Deep inside, I want him to be the one with me. I want him by my side, supporting and helping me. On the other hand, something tells me I shouldn't.

"Alright. Thanks."

Sean closed the door. He went back to the living room, and I followed. "Thanks," I told Sean.

"I still don't get why you're keeping things from him. Isn't he your boyfriend?" he asked.

"I don't want anyone to know about what we've been up to. Not even Jace. This is only between us, okay."

"Alright."

"Thanks."

Sean stood up, walking to the kitchen. He opened the fridge and took a can of soda. He opened it. "He is your boyfriend, right?" he asked before drinking.

I took a deep breath. "No."

"Dating?" he asked.

"I don't know."